Return to the Paint Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to remove painted-over wallpaper paste?

Posted by bagelk (My Page) on
Wed, Dec 28, 11 at 19:04

Hi, I am new here. We just removed wallpaper in the kitchen, cleaned the glue and found a very uneven painted surface. It is clearly a thick layer of dried wallpaper paste painted over or primed over. Surprisingly, it holds really well, no pealing. It does come off when sprayed with wallpaper removal stuff, but this is very tedious and slow. I've tried to use latex paint removal paste, but that was a mistake - no progress, but a big sticky mess. I know how to patch a drywall, but have never tried to skimcoat the whole wall before.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to remove painted-over wallpaper paste?

Sand it off

o

Thanks, christophern. We've tried sanding, but it doesn't come off easily, and we'll have to sand 3+ walls. It is not like a few spots, but we have whole walls heavily "textured" with painted glue. It seems that nobody even tried to wash off the glue before painting over it. How about covering it with Gardz, and skimcoating? The drywall mud is a lot easier to sand, and probably will be smoother at the end.

o

I would try an orbital sander. You may still have to skim coat after, but probably won't be as extreme or need multiple coats of mud. Gardz plus skimcoating is a fine plan though.

o

. Gardz plus skimcoating is a fine plan though.

I agree

o

Here's a link on skimcoating that might help you if you go that route. Don't use a topping compound but rather joint compound as it has adhesives in the mix that will help adhere along with the gardz. Another tip is to stay with the same brand of compound, don't mix with other brands as the mixes can vary between them enough to show where you stop and start. This is the mud I like to use if available in your area. It's a lightweight mud and although it is a topper, it has adhesives as a joint compound.

http://www.homedepot.com/Building-Materials-Drywall-Joint-Compound/h_d1/N-5yc1vZard1/R-100320403/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

Here is a link that might be useful: skim coat.

o
meant to say...

Meant to say....

"that will help adhere to the gardz".

o

Thanks a lot for your help!
We've got the sander, and it works a lot faster than I thought. Already sanded one corner, so hopefully we will have the appliances installed soon (living without an oven almost a year, lol). Is one coat of GARDZ enough?

sierraeast, thanks for advice and the link, this house is full of surprises, so I'll better learn how to skimcoat.

o

Sure, one coat is plenty as long as you apply a full coat. Gardz is very loose bodied so use a very short nap roller and you don't need to overload the sleeve. One dip goes pretty far if the surface is not that porous.

o

Get youself a 1/4 nap microfiber roller cover

o

Thanks, will do. Happy New Year!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Paint Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here