Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bobntess

Beware : Dutch Boy Ceiling Solution Paint

bobntess
13 years ago

Just an FYI on Dutch Boy Home Ceiling Solution tinted Bright White flat paint. This is the type with the disappearing dye that supposedly keeps you from missing any spots while you paint.

This is easily the worst paint product I have ever used. It took 4 gallons to cover 400 sq. ft. of kitchen ceiling and it still looks terrible. The paint seemed to almost dry on contact leaving distinct lines and shaded areas where you can see overlaps. It has also began to peel in several areas. The paint was applied to a well prepared ceiling that had a primered patch where a wall was removed.

I began to question my painting abilities, room temp, and anything else I could come up with as to why it came out so bad. While trying to figure out what to do about the ceiling I decided to go ahead and paint the walls. What a difference! I used Kilz Casual colors Satin and it went on without issue. 1 coat covered everything including the wall patch.

I painted this entire house when built 25 years ago and re-painted several times since and never had any paint issues like this. I will be writing the Dutch Boy company about this.

By posting this, I hope I can save someone the hassle I've gone though...stay away from this paint!

Comments (25)

• Faron79
    13 years ago

Thanks for the info. Bobntess.

Was this bought at a Menards?
    What kind of pricepoint were they at?

I know ACE has had a "photo-reactive" dye Ceiling-paint as well...for at least 6 yrs. now, and I haven't heard any negatives about it anyway. We go thru a fair amount of it too!

Faron

• bobntess
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Update: I contacted DB on the paint issue and they agreed to reimburse the full price on the paint but that's it. Now I'm stuck trying to remove the blistered areas, patching them, and repainting the entire ceiling.

• henholgt_hotmail_com
    13 years ago

I had the exact same thing happen to me. I did everything right to start off with - brand new sheet rock primed with One Coat primer then started rolling on this ceiling paint with a good quality half inch roller. What a mess! I even tried putting on a second coat with an additive to slow drying time and hide roller marks. Still streaky and uneven sheen. Finally decided it had to be something with the paint so I bought some Pittsburgh Grand Distinctions Flat base paint (not tinted) and one coat covered beautifully! You can still see some of the overlapping marks from the Dutch Boy junk but it's 100% better than it was. I'll be contacting Dutch Boy too. DO NOT USE THIS PAINT FOR YOUR CEILING!!

• PRO
    Christopher Nelson Wallcovering and Painting
    13 years ago

DO NOT USE THIS PAINT FOR YOUR CEILING!!

you would be wise not to use it for you're doghouse either

• tobie_TDS_NET
    13 years ago

I Used db for ceiling and have nothing but problems.Don`t waste your time or money on db ceiling paint.

• Arapaho-Rd
    13 years ago

I got fooled by Consumer Reports one year and bought Kilz wall paint because it was rated #1. At $21. a gallon I thought I would save a lot of money over BM. What a huge mistake - my walls were a mess and it took multiple gallons to correct the problem. In hindsight I should have chucked it all in the beginning and went with a high end brand. Dutch Boy has had some high ratings too and I always wondered how. Now I know to stay away from low end paint completely.

• ccmc47_aol_com
    13 years ago

DO NOT USE THIS PAINT!!!!!!!!! I bought 2 gallons of this paint for my kitchen ceiling. I'm not a novice painter and had painted many ceilings before. I'm careful and make sure there are never any remaining lines left on the surface. It sounded like a good idea with the purple dye in it and it says spatter resistant too. Well, first of all it took almost 1 1/2 gallons for about 2/3 of my ceiling. Then when it dried, disaster!! You can see every roller mark and they are outlined with what looks like white chalky marks all over the place. We thought the second coat would solve the problem, but it only got worse. There are blotches of paint all over the ceiling and even now when we painted, again, for the third time with a different paint, it's still blotchy and a mess. All roller lines are still showing through with the white chalky marks. Maybe we can sand it or something... What a mess!!!! Today the paint pan liner had dried with the remaining paint from yesterday, and it's all cracking off as if it were just joint compount in there. Seems like the laytex is missing... Dutch Boy is going to hear about this from me! They have some nerve leaving this junk on the shelves with all the complaints they've gotten about it. All the work, all the money, and it looks terrible. Never saw anything like this before!

• bobntess
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I submitted my receipts for a refund over a month ago and I'm still waiting for a reply. I think I'll give them another month before I take further action.

Every day I can still see remnants of the mess this paint has caused. A simple refund will never cover the cost.

• stacieann63
    13 years ago

Too late! We used it too with the same results others posted. We used DB flat paint throughout our new house 3000sq.ft., with great results (painted entire home in 6 days), very pleased, until we used the ceiling paint in one of the bedrooms. Like the original poster it took 3 cans and still looks like carp!
    I don't know how we are going to remedy it. Sand down the lines, then attempt to repaint?

• arden_nj_yahoo_com
    13 years ago

I wish I'd seen this before. I got the same disasterous results as others reported and found this thread looking for an answer.

:o(
    Guess I'll be repainting with something else.

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    13 years ago

Holy cow. This is pretty bad - rumblings started 12/10 and very specific and similar complaints about this product continue to roll in.

Wonder if Dutch Boy Paints uses Google Alerts or anything so they catch all this feedback.

Looks to me like they have a few issues with this product that need addressed - ASAP.

• bobntess
    Original Author
    13 years ago

An update on the refund I requested from Dutch Boy. After over 2 months and not hearing anything on my refund, I emailed customer support asking about the status of the refund and was told that they were short staffed and would try to send it out soon. The check came the other day, about a week after I emailed them.

Another thing I found out was Dutch Boy must be made by Sherwin Williams as the name on the refund envelope was SW.

It was good to receive the check but it came nowhere near compensating for the extra work involved to make the ceiling look ok.

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    13 years ago

Yes, Dutch Boy is a Sherwin Williams company. Sherwin Williams owns a ton of brands: Pratt & Lambert, Martin Senour, Dutch Boy, H & C Concrete Coatings, Krylon, White Lighting, Purdy, Tri-Flow and probably more I'm not thinking of at the moment.

• DutchP
    10 years ago

do I ever wish I had read these posts before purchasing this horrible paint. I used it to paint my kitchen and breakfast room ceilings (and I am an experienced painter) and, as the others have said, the paint blistered all over the ceilings. I tried sanding with little result. DB would only offer to refund my purchase price. If any law firm out there is interested in a class action suit, count me in. there is no excuse for putting such a lousy, DAMAGING, product on the market.

• DutchP
    10 years ago

I wish I would have read this forum before buying this horrible stuff. I've been painting my homes for 30 years and have never had anything like this happen. As others have said, the paint blistered all over the kitchen and breakfast room ceiling. It looks terrible. I tried to sand it but with little result. Called Dutch Boy and all they would do is offer to refund the purchase price. If there is a law firm out there that is interested in a class action lawsuit, count me in.

• cat_ky
    10 years ago

For those of you wanting to use a ceiling paint that goes on one color but dries white, you might want to try Valspar, goes on purple, dries white. I just used it for the first time, and am very pleased with it. I do think it takes a bit more paint than regular ceiling paint though, although in my case, it was new primered sheetrock, so maybe would have taken more paint anyway. I also wouldnt call it purple. It is actually a light lavendar color when applied. It did dry nice and even.

• Marypat16
    9 years ago

OMG - worst paint ever - the pink tint didn't stay pink long enough to even see where you've painted - it streaked so bad - at 9 pm I was running to the store to buy my old stand by of Glidden paint - it too has the tint and I loved it - my ceiling turned out great - returning the 2 gallons I purchased of the Dutch Boy and will never spend the money on this or any other Dutch Boy product again

• NWalton (Zone 6a)
    8 years ago

Did the formula change in recent years? I used this product on a new room. Very little spatter, nice clean look, and only took one coat. I was surprised about the single coat, which is a nice change. The caveat seemed to be it soaked up twice as much as the instructions listed. I used two cans on about 400sq feet.

• PRO
    Christopher Nelson Wallcovering and Painting
    8 years ago

It seems paint manufactures change formulas daily.

• cshannon1077
    4 years ago

Worst painting experience ever!!!
    Rolling on more paint and it pulls off the first roll leaving scarred paint scabs!!!

So, with built in primer but apparently I still have to prime first???!!!
    RIDICULOUS!!!!

• cat_ky
    4 years ago

cshannon, let it dry well. Do not put on any more paint. Once dry, you will have to sand the ceiling, especially the places where there are scabs or just rolling ridges. Wipe it well, and primer it, since it is apparently pretty bad. Then just buy flat white paint (decent quality), and a bottle of floetrol. Mix the floetrol into the paint per directions. This keeps the paint from drying so fast. Roll on a nice coat of flat white paint, and all should be good.

• jstutz101
    2 years ago

Another sucker here. Purchased DB Ceiling paint before reading the reviews. Had the EXACT same terrible results. So in 12 years this is still a AWFUL product.

• Lulu Girl
    9 months ago

Ha! i bought this paint amd was going to start painting my bedroom ceiling… its all white - no pink color at all. Will be returning the paint to Menards tomorrow for a full refund!

• NWalton (Zone 6a)
    9 months ago

Used this paint throughout my house. Ceiling area is roughly 2800sq ft. and used 3/4” nap roller. Applied once and would let dry. Touch up any areas the next morning. The first day or two I remember seeing lines but they dried and faded into a nice bright white.

I could see an issue with multiple applications and going over an area a second time within a day or two as this paint goes on thick and absorbs into ceiling texture.