Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nziegler773

Linen all around?

nziegler773
12 years ago

I am pretty good with architectural decisions, but really bad with decorating decisions. We are restoring a very cool old home (New England, c 1773 with multi additions in the 1800s) and I am looking for a very classic color to run throughout the rather large sized house on interior trim and walls (entry, upstairs and downstairs halls, living room, kitchen and trim in many of the other rooms). I will use some of the BM historic colors in bedrooms (eg. Windham cream), the dining room (a BM HC gold), and family room (BM HC Kittery Point?). Has anyone used BM Linen White in large sections of their house and been really happy with it? I had White Dove throughout my prior antique home and it was too white. Any other suggestions for a 'mainstay' cream color in a classic colonial (Georgian/Greek Revival styles in the interior)?

Comments (2)

• jodokus
    12 years ago

I highly recommend BM Linen White, especially since you are in New England and have that more northern light. My parents' house in Newport, RI, is painted linen white throughout and it is lovely! It looks warm and inviting and gives a little color but is very subtle and soft and works with everything. Their trim is painted white. I live in California and also have lots of linen white and absolutely love it. It looks soft and creamy but gives a hint of color. It's a good color no matter if it is sunny out or dark and overcast or stormy. It goes with everything, so no matter what your color scheme is, it'll look great. It also looks awesome with hardwood floors.

You'll probably get lots of other ideas here about other whites. One thing you should really steer clear of is Navajo white. I don't recommend it unless if you were at a more southern latitude and had good lighting all around. Navajo white works great in a room with lots and lots of light, but otherwise, it looks very muddy and dingy.

• la_koala
    12 years ago

...especially since you are in New England and have that more northern light. ...It looks warm and inviting and gives a little color but is very subtle and soft and works with everything.

I fully second Jodokus's comments! While my dining room is south facing, it is in coastal MA and mostly blocked by the houses across the street. I chose BM Linen White for the walls after testing Marscapone on a sample board. The Marscapone was just too *white*. As Jodokus said, the Linen White has a nice soft warm tone to it.

--Lee