Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
brenda_md_gw

Trim has latex over oil based paint, want to repaint, how?

brenda_md
13 years ago

I need advice on the best way to proceed with respect to painting trim that is currently painted with latex paint on top of oil based paint. Our house was built in 1985 and the painter used oil based, semi gloss paint for the trim and doors (off white color). When my husband and I started to repaint the house, he did not want to use oil based paint because he hates the additional clean up involved with oil paint. Upon advice received twice from the BM dealer, some trim and door areas have latex that was applied directly to the oil based paint, after the sheen was sanded down, and other trim/door areas had a tinted primer applied first before the latex was painted on. Regardless of the prep process before the latex was applied, the latex tended to chip off some here and there in higher traffic areas.

I would now like to repaint our house which means repainting the trim and doors. I do not want to paint again with a latex paint over the trim and doors because I do not believe it will hold well. I really believe I need to remove the current latex layer and repaint with oil based paint. Would this be the logical step? Also, I am aware of a paint removal product that you can apply to surfaces so the paint comes off in strips. I think it is called Peel Away Paint remover. Has anyone used this and does it work? Is it economical, both with respect to time and money? I would appreciate your advice on how to handle this situation, especially if I am heading in the wrong direction.

Comments (2)