Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tababella

Outside railing peeling

tababella
9 years ago

Hi, our outside deck railings are wood and only 4 years old. This past summer we had them painted bc paint was starting to peel. Unfortunately the painters didn't follow how it was previously painted and used wood filler over some big screws. I attached a picture of the problem we have. So this was painted in September and its December now and looks awful. I'm worried that the wood is going to rot and not be able to be fixed. We live in New England so I don't think there is much I can do about this now right? In the spring, is there a way I'd be able to remove the peeling part and use wood filler, sand and paint? Just worried bc the painters did use wood filler but was it not the correct type?? How would I get rid of this and ensure it doesn't happen again? Thanks!

Comments (3)

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Yes, it's too cold now (I'm also in NE). Next spring, either replace the railing with one that is made with pressure-treated wood, prime, and paint, or if you want to hang onto that railing, sand it down until it's smooth, use BONDO, building it up and sanding it until it's where you want it, then prime it, and paint it.

Bondo dries VERY quickly, so you only want to use the amount you need at the time. Do a thin layer, then when that dries, sand it, then mix another blob of Bondo, do another layer, and so on until you have it as you want it.

• tababella
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks so much! Since it's only one spot I think I'd prefer to probably just fix it in the spring for the time being. Under neath that peeling part is a plastic type screw that holds both posts together. Will it be ok to fill that with bondo? This is all new to me so I appreciate all feedback!

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

A plastic screw???

No. Take the screw out, then do the Bondo thing (don't worry about filling the screw hole), then prime, paint, drill a new hole, and use a stainless steel screw. You always want to be able to unscrew something in case you need to replace that one thing, for instance one board on a deck, or just the railing in your case, or the post the railing is attached to, etc., etc.