Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
barbieberry

What color shutters look good with a cream colored house?

gardenbug
10 years ago

My shutters are currently a dark green. What other colors would look good? I am leaning toward black shutters but not sure if that would work? Ideas please? My house is small (manufactured home) We will be adding white french doors, the deck is a red cedar with white railings. Thank you.

Comments (7)

• graywings123
    10 years ago

You might get more responses posting this on the Home Decorating forum, along with a photo.

• gardenbug
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi graywings. Thanks for your reply. I'm just wondering why you think "Home Decorating" would be a better forum for me to place my post? I'm not doing any Home Decorating (just yet) So far, I'm 'painting'

• Vertise
    10 years ago

What color is the roof and can you post a picture? Cream is fairly neutral unless there is a lot of yellow in it. Anything from white to black. I wouldn't t care for black but a lot of people would love it. You could also use an almost black color for it to be less stark looking.

Since you have a red cedar deck maybe a reddish brown or deep red tone that incorporates the coloring of that feature. The deck material is on the same side of the house as the shutters? They are visible together?

I would suggest looking at lots of pictures online for "cream house" to better see what your own personal preferences are.

This post was edited by snookums2 on Wed, Dec 18, 13 at 13:49

• gardenbug
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi snooums2, There is a hint of yellow in the vinyl siding. The roof is charcoal grey (closer to black) Yes, on the deck side all the windows have shutters. I've attached a photo of my house that I took just this past summer. The actual color has a hint of yellow in it. I hope this helps to give you an idea. I really appreciate all your help.

This post was edited by cadence on Sun, Dec 22, 13 at 3:39

• gardenbug
    Original Author
    10 years ago

deck

This post was edited by cadence on Sun, Dec 22, 13 at 3:41

• graywings123
    10 years ago

I suggested the Home Decorating forum because you are asking a question about color, not paint. Many of the color experts on the Home Decorating forum do not come to this forum - so if you want their advice, you need to go to the forum they read. The Paint forum has some good professional painters who give sound advice on painting and paint products.

There are a few color experts here, so maybe posting here will work for you. If it doesn't, try the Home Decorating forum.

• gardenbug
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi graywings, thank you for letting me know why you think my post might work better on the Home Decorating forum. It makes sense to me, so I'll give it a go! I appreciate your help very much. Merry Christmas to you.