Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
diynewbie_sf_gw

Seeking white ceiling / did Valspar Fresh Cotton change?

diynewbie_sf
9 years ago

Hi painting gurus! This is so mysterious - in 2010, I painted all our trim and LR ceiling with Valspar Fresh Cotton (CI199)

At the time, it was a bright white. I just bought a new gallon of Fresh Cotton matte paint (new label Valspar) and painted two coats on a BR ceiling (over BM Linen White) - and it is absolutely a light yellow vanilla. In my photo, you can see the old 2010 trim compared to the new 2014 ceiling. (the gray is BM Sidewalk Gray at 50%)

I checked the Valspar website and other websites, and it is now appearing as a creamy yellow - yet I am looking at the cans side by side and they don't match at all. I guess it could be a) the formula changed b) the old White Linen ceiling is changing the tone c) the guy who mixed the paint didn't use the same formula as 2010?

Anyway, I went back to Lowes and got what I thought was a brighter white - tried French Bistro Valspar and it's absolutely pink.

Back to the drawing board: I am seeking a white matte for the ceiling that matches what used to be called Valspar Fresh Cotton - perhaps I upgrade to BM Simply White or BM Super White?

Thanks for any suggestions!!
MJ

Here is a link that might be useful: Valspar Fresh Cotton (2014 edition)

Comments (3)

Sponsored
The Creative Kitchen Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars47 Reviews
Franklin County's Kitchen Remodeling and Refacing Professional