Return to the Paint Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Painting bare wood doors

Posted by gjh (My Page) on
Wed, Dec 5, 12 at 15:12

This topic has been covered but maybe not sufficiently for me. I'm replacing interior doors with pine or fir 6-panel doors (the kind filled with particle board). I've seen various posts that call for starting with sanding sealer, others that say to start with primer, and I've seen sanding sealer and then primer. I could use either oil-based or latex primer (or sanding sealer I suppose), but the finish paint is going to be latex to match everything else.

I'm guessing other people have some experience with this.

Thanks in advance.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Painting bare wood doors

There were posts that say to prime with sanding sealer? I hope not! Sanding sealer is a product used to apply over wood that has been stained that seals the wood and makes it easier to sand before applying the finish coats. It's only used as a first coat when you are appling clear finishes like varnish or polyurethane. As for painting six panel doors, you can prime with a high quality acrylic primer (tops and bottoms too) followed by two coats of finish paint. You may also want to look at masonite doors that come pre primed. 6 panel pine doors are not the best choice of doors to paint....in my opinion those are stain grade doors.

o
RE: Painting bare wood doors

• Posted by gjh (My Page) on
    Sun, Dec 9, 12 at 12:28

Locally, I'm not able to find samples of solid core "masonite" doors, only the hollow core junk. I've heard Masonite and Simpson are good. Any advice?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Paint Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here