Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vertise

Roller Nap

Vertise
11 years ago

My painting experience is minimal. I guess I've usually used a 3/8" roller nap. I picked up some 1/4" ones because there's been quite a few repairs done to the walls, including lots of nail pops, and I wanted to get the whole surface back to something that looked more uniform and smooth so the patching doesn't stand out.

First use was Peel Stop, a watery primer. The paint seems to sit ON the roller and doesn't roll off evenly in the tray. I've tried two tray textures. So, it doesn't hit the wall evenly. Of course I worked it a lot to try to get an even coat.

Is this uneven soupy roller thing a problem with using 1/4" rollers?

I have read you can roll with a 3/8" to get a good amount of paint on the wall and then back roll with a dry 1/4" to knock the texture back to what you want. The primer coat (Peel Stop) does appear to be fairly thin.

Comments (10)

• PRO
    Christopher Nelson Wallcovering and Painting
    11 years ago

Again, WHY, the Peel Stop???

• Vertise
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Sorry, Christoph, I didn't realize you wanted to know about that. My walls have flaking paint. The place is about 40 years old and paint has started flaking off down to the bare drywall. There is poor adhesion with the first coat which was probably cheap unprimed builder's flat.

Is there some reason you would not use it?

• PRO
    11 years ago

Well, personally,I would want to figure out why the paint is peeling and remove all that was, skim the walls and start over, but, you should be fine. I would use a 1/2 in nap.

• Vertise
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Only reason seems to be that it was cheap builder's flat over nonprimed, ie, poor paint job the first time around. We haven't found any moisture problems. Flaking areas are scraped and those areas skimmed to smooth the surface again.

Why 1/2 nap? Do you mean for the Peel Stop? Is a thin coat sufficient, 1/4 nap in some areas already done (not big rooms just closets and the bathroom).

• SparklingWater
    11 years ago

snookums-I've been following this thread as I have a room with similar constraints. Reading on pro paint forums, one repeat warning is to get it on (two hour drying time) and follow with your true color paint faster than usual, i.e., not usual luxury in time to painting schedule. One pro emphasized UV light as possibly breaking it down quickly if using it exteriorly but your using it interiorly.

So, perhaps the 1/2" nap roller is to speed the Zinsser Peel Stop application process in general for that drying window.

• Vertise
    Original Author
    11 years ago

They should be open today. I'll have to give a call. It didn't occur to me actually fast until I read some primers say 2 days. I wanted to get started while picking a paint color but planning on painting very soon, just not N-O-W.

• Vertise
    Original Author
    11 years ago

He said 30 days for both Gardz and Peel Stop. Darn I should have asked about the roller nap! Loooong hold time.

• Vertise
    Original Author
    11 years ago

He said 3/8" roller for the primers but it should be ok if I can see a shiny coat of primer. If I see any dull marks, put on a little more. I think I'll leave what I've done alone with only the one thin coat but change over to 3/8" for the rooms. 3/8" back rolled with a 1/4" for finer texture is also fine.

• PRO
    11 years ago

I use a 1/2 for most everything, it gets more product on the wall

• Vertise
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I will check the texture out of the 1/2 inch. More product is a good thing.