Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
zobeet

Gardz primer

zobeet
17 years ago

I just used it. Strange experience. It has the consistency and color of milky water, and dries clear! I'm not the most precise person in the world and keep feeling like I should paint some more to be sure I didn't miss anything. Needless to say I got some in my hair, so I have invisibly sticky hair.

OTOH I think it was the right choice for my room, which has some residual wallpaper paste due to non-detail-oriented nature, and lots of plaster & spackle & bare wallboard spots.

Just hope the color goes on evenly.

Comments (15)

• yogacat
    17 years ago

Yep. It has a weird texture. Since I usually get as much paint on my hands as on the walls, I end up peel Gardz off my fingers and hands for several days after using it. It's worth it tho'.

Gardz does have a slight sheen to it, so you can see where you missed spots if you look carefully.

I strongly suggest that you also use one of the Zinser primers over the Gardz. You'll have a much, much nicer finish and will need fewer coats of paint. Even after Gardz, that spackling and bare drywall will soak up the paint if you don't prime.

• Michael
    17 years ago

There should be no absorption of paint after GARDZ primer. It dries to a hard surface that permanently seals the wall surface.

Michael

• zobeet
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Okay, what about color coverage? The paint is beige and the spackle & plaster are white. Will paint coverage be better if I use a white primer?

• Michael
    17 years ago

So, what color is the new topcoat going to be?

Michael

• zobeet
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Okay, what about color coverage? The paint is beige and the spackle

• zobeet
    Original Author
    17 years ago

It's a blue-green, or green blue. Citron's Windy Days, which has been discontinued but it was in my fandeck and I liked it, so they made me a gallon. I'd say it's roughly sky intensity (is that the word? color vocabulary confuses me -I mean it's as dark/light as sky blue but not the same color).

• Michael
    17 years ago

If you're using full spectrum paint, I recommend a primer tinted close to the paint color.

Michael

• zobeet
    Original Author
    17 years ago

"If you're using full spectrum paint, I recommend a primer tinted close to the paint color."

How do I accomplish that? I know if I buy, say, BM paint I can ask the store to tint the primer appropriately, but if it's expensive full spectrum paint, how do I get my Zinsser primer properly tinted? I've been wondering for awhile.

• Michael
    17 years ago

The tint doesn't need to be an exact match, just close. The primer doesn't need to be FS.

Take your FS color chip with you and have them scan it and tint the primer.

Michael

• zobeet
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Well duh. You'd think I could have figured that out. But I didn't, so thanks!

• buffalotina
    16 years ago

Michael, I just posted on my other caulk flashing thread (thanks for your help BTW). Do you think I should use the Gardz to seal my caulk issues?

Thanks!!!

Tina

• chipster_2007
    16 years ago

Michael, Just to clarify: I should use Gardz over all my walls that have been previously wallpapered? Then, should I apply a primer over the Gardz to optimize the the color of the top coat and ensure an even colored and TEXTURED surface? I really want to minimize any imperfections the wall surfaces have. Can/should I use Gardz on painted only wall surfaces as well or is that not necessay? And 1 more thing: Can I use a different brand primer from the finishing coat? Thanks Michael.

• stu2900
    15 years ago

Thought I'd resurrect this post to get an answer to the last post. I need the same info. So, if I understand this right:

1. Remove wallpaper and paste
    2. Prime with Gardz
    3. Prime with tinted (or nontinted?)primer
    4. Paint

Are these the proper steps?

• zobeet
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I primed with Gardz and then with white primer. Tinted probably would have enhanced the color, but it looks good to me.

• paintguy22
    15 years ago

Those are the right steps, though most times I will blow off the tinted primer step if my topcoat color is a normal color that requires two coats. Gardz itself will serve as a good primer, but because it is clear it is not getting you any closer to your finish color. This is not a big deal unless the color is a deep red or something like that which may require more than two coats....then it is worth actually using a tinted primer IMO.