Return to the Paint Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
acrylic over oil without primer?

Posted by samrw (My Page) on
Sun, Dec 26, 10 at 13:32

I just had most of my house painted with NATURA no-voc paint. I found out that they did not use primer on top of the previous oil based paint. They also used flat paint on everything, we have a toddler and thought we had agreed on a more washable/hiding finish. How bad is it to paint acrylic over oil without a primer? If it is bad, any suggested remedies?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: acrylic over oil without primer?

It's not that bad of a thing to do, but if you decide to not use a primer, then the sanding is tremendously important. The surface has to be very dull and clean for the acrylic paint to stick well. You can test it by trying to remove some of the paint with your fingernails or apply some yellow tape to an area and pull it off to test the adhesion...inconspicuous areas of course. The only way to fix it is to remove the paint that is loosely adhered and then sand everything properly and repaint. You will very likely find that some of the paint is adhered and some is not....not very often is it a complete strip job. As far as painting with flat instead of a washable finish, most painters should know that is a bad idea. If you agreed on it, can you have them come back and apply the correct finish?

o
RE: acrylic over oil without primer?

Thank you for the relevant feedback
Problem is no sanding was done.
Bid said prep and prime and stated flat paint, which was verbally corrected but not followed up on. I don't see much solution.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Paint Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here