Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
suseyb

Painting and Pregnancy

suseyb
9 years ago

I would like to find a reasonably priced paint that I can use while pregnant. I am switching rooms around and the children in the new rooms want new paint colors. Honestly, the rooms need to be painted. It's been four years, I'm ashamed to admit.

What brands are decent? We used SW Harmony when we did the remodel, but I'm willing to look elsewhere this time. Cost is quite a factor, unfortunately. I've heard great things about Benjamin Moore Aura, but I don't think we can afford $50+ a gallon.

TIA.

Comments (9)

• lazy_gardens
    9 years ago

Unless you plan to drink the paint or bathe in it, none of the current interior paints would be harmful during pregnancy. It's a question of what paint odor you can tolerate while it's wet.

I don't mind Valspar, my SO thinks it stinks of something vinegary. Glidden, to me, has a faint vanilla smell. Benjamin Moore, everyone's darling, has an unpleasant resinous smell to me ... so waddle into the paint store and ask them to let you sniff the cans.

• kudzu9
    9 years ago

I've been pleased with the Behr brand that Home Depot carries for about $20 a gallon. I just don't believe that one needs to spend $50 a gallon for any normal home application, especially when it's a child's room, and more especially when one is a frequent re-painter.

• suseyb
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Waddle into the store. LOL That's awesome. I will do just that!

Smells don't really bother me this time around. I seem to get sick for no reason at all. :(

I just don't want any smells to be toxic to the unborn.

I do want a pretty decent quality of paint since I have small people who touch the walls and write on them.

• PRO
    Christopher Nelson Wallcovering and Painting
    9 years ago

I do want a pretty decent quality of paint since I have small people who touch the walls and write on them.

I would stick with the harmony if I were you, but if you have a PPG store nearby, them I would go with their Manor Hall line, it will save you some $ and still be quality paint. I would not, ever go to Home depot for paint. Just my 2 cents as a painter.

• kudzu9
    9 years ago

christophern-
    Just curious why you wouldn't go to Home Depot. I've found Behr paints to have very good coverage, hiding, and washability properties, and I can get any color I want.

• lazy_gardens
    9 years ago

Behr's "flat enamel" works well and is very washable. I get 1-coat coverage easily when it's light over light, but I apply paint thicker than most non-professionals.

One warning: It's "sticky", so don't try to rework an area or you will mess it up. Apply it evenly and don't look back.

Valspar's "Professional" flat latex, from Ace Hardware, is also good, and way less expensive than their heavily advertised stuff they sell to homeowners. We just did a whole house in it.

• PRO
    9 years ago

Being that I am getting paid for what I do, I only use paint that I know works. For me Behr and or Valspar do not fit in that category. For the DIY they may be fine, I just would not recommend either of them.

• lazy_gardens
    9 years ago

ChristopherN ... What kind of problems do you have with Behr and Valspar? When you say they don't work, exactly what do you mean?

Why would a supposed professional have problems a DIY painter doesn't have? I get a lot of vague criticisms of Behr from people who claim they are professionals, but no one has elucidated the precise problem with it.

• PRO
    9 years ago

I have found Behr ( now this was a few years back) to be so watery that it would form huge runs, even rolling it, so I never used it again. Valspar, I really do not remember, but like I said, I will only use what I know will work for me. If it works for you, good.

Sponsored
Re-Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Pittsburgh's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living