Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
novice_from__ct

Warm Grey Paint Color for the Kitchen?

novice_from__ct
16 years ago

It may sound strange to paint a kitchen grey but I think it will work very nicely as a neutral background in my kitchen. My cabinets are an off-white/ivory color and right now my kitchen is painted a very pale lime green (alomst white) color. It's nice but does nothing for the cabinets. I'm afraid if I go blue, it will be too easter egg loooking since the cabinets have a lot of yellow in them. I thought grey would be a nice compliment, with the ceiling crown and window trim painted bright white. Does anyone have a grey painted kitchen? Any suggestions for warm grey paints that are not too dark?

Comments (15)

• ummm
    16 years ago

i'm going to paint my kitchen (with orangy oak cabinets) with BM revere pewter.

• bbcjohn
    16 years ago

I am painting my cabinets a very greyed blue. Ihappen to be using the nnew Ace Cabinet paint.

You can find wonderful greyed colors in any paint. I like the idea of gray but those with a hint of blue or green look very classy.

I suggest you ask on the home decorating forum or the kitchen forum for colors as they are quite well versed there.
    Nikki

• lizinnh
    16 years ago

I like Benjamin Moore's austere grey. It is a grey with a green hue. It changes color with lighting and I get lots of compliments on it. It is the main neutral color in my house.

• bestyears
    16 years ago

I just painted my bedroom BM Silver Mist (1619) and we are all in LOVE with this color. My bedroom faces south and has big windows so the room gets lots of light. Depending on the time of day, amount of light, etc. it varies from pale, warm gray to pale, pale smoky blue. I cannot imagine it looking easter-ish. Just doesn't have that pastel quality. We also looked at BM Quiet Moments which is also a lovely gray, but with a bit more green in it.
    Lynn

• hoffman
    16 years ago

My kitchen is BM Beacon Gray with white painted cabinets:

• novice_from__ct
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for all the advice! Hoffman, love your kitchen! The color looks almost lavender, is that accurate?

• hoffman
    16 years ago

Thanks -- it's bluish/gray but can look purplish depending on the light.

• mayholmes
    16 years ago

Also nice is BM wickham gray. See if you can get ahold of Stephanie Hoppen's new book Perfect Neutrals (published in 2007). She has some lovely examples of gray interiors. I've seen the book at Borders and in Restoration Hardware.

• novice_from__ct
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I love Wickham Gray and will pick up a sample of that when I'm ready to start painting. Thanks for the advice on the book. I've read some reviews online and it looks really useful.

• tudorlover
    16 years ago

Hi Hoffman, two more questions, what white did you use and also what sheen is on your trim and room paint. Love it. Thanks

• kaypeakay
    16 years ago

I like SW Intellectual Gray - used it in a bedroom and it's medium dark and warm, but if you are leaning towards a blue-gray, it may not work. It is more brown-olive gray.
    kpk

Also, a pale gray that I like a lot is BM Edgecomb gray. Pretty, light and neutral.

• janeber1
    16 years ago

any one use steel wool by ben moore?

• hoffman
    16 years ago

tudorlover,

Sorry! I didn't see your question until now. The walls are BM Aura matte finish and the trim is BM satin impervo. The trim was custom matched to my cabinets -- I think they are SW pure white, but not 100% sure.

• liz1977
    16 years ago

Hi Novice,
    I am looking at BM Winter Solstice for my kitchen- just one color below Silver mist. It looks very muted, not too bright or pastel. We'll see! I do plan on trying out a sample first so I won't have a do-over!
    It's been awhile since u posted- have u painted yet?

• akeogh
    12 years ago

I loved using SW Intellectual Grey 7045 on my kitchen cabinets!

Wall:SW 7045 Intellectual Gray flat 100%
    Ceiling:SW 7045 Intellectual Gray flat 50%
    Cabinets,trims, doors: SW 7045 Intellectual Gray, Semi gloss 100%
    Island: Benjamin Moore Bronze Tone #60 Semi gloss 100%

Sponsored
Mary Shipley Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars32 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 10x Best of Houzz