Return to the Paint Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Exterior painting and temps

Posted by mary_md7 (My Page) on
Fri, Dec 3, 10 at 13:07

We need to paint exterior shutters and can't wait til spring. What are the temperature restrictions for doing so? Can we paint outdoors in cold weather or do we need to remove the shutters and bring them inside (there are only 3 pairs involved)?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Exterior painting and temps

Read the recommendations on the can. Oil paints can be used in cold weather, but you do not really want to use oil paint on exterior shutters. Most latex/acrylic paints can be used when the temps are above 50 degrees, but you really want to finish painting early in the day before the temps dip below that when night comes. There are also low temp paints available that can be used down to 35 degrees, but really if I had the option to take them off and bring them inside, I would do that. Painting in cold weather is not ideal and I think should be avoided if possible.

o
RE: Exterior painting and temps

While most of the exterior paint tins would mention above 50� F as the ideal temperature, there is more to this. A good surface preparation with temperature fluctuation from 60� F to 85� F is realistic. A relative humidity of around 40% to 60% during application and two weeks after that, is a necessity for the paint to have a good life. Additionally, having an early morning start and closing the painting activity 2 hours before sunset is best. Also, check the label of the exterior paint that you wish to use. There are new exterior paints made for application during extreme weather conditions as well.

Here is a link that might be useful: Exterior Paint

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Paint Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here