Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jellytoast

Tacky Paint and Blocking Issues

jellytoast
9 years ago

I painted my front door last year with Benjamin Moore paint which never seemed to dry to a hard coat and instead kept a somewhat "tacky" feel. Even though I followed instructions regarding dry times between coats and used a good primer, I still had problems with the paint sticking and peeling in a few places where it touched another surface. I used the Regal Select Exterior High Build paint in a satin finish in a burgundy color.

I am now getting ready to paint some trim and interior doors (in white) and don't want to experience these same issues. Is it the paint? The satin finish I chose? The technique? What can I do to prevent this happening again? I really don't want to use an oil based paint or a high gloss paint (but will use semi-gloss if necessary).

Comments (5)

• Faron79
    9 years ago

It's not the paint at all! It's the color!

A deep color like Burgundy has a LOT of liquid colorant added, & thus will take a loooooonnnngg time to cure fully, evenly, all the way thru.
    This kinda color may "feel" dry to a light touch later in the day....BUT....to fully cure...requires WEEKS.

Blocking-
    This is kind of a side-effect of curing paint!
    When newer paint is pressed against another surface, like a closed, tighter-fitting entry-door, it will often be "pulled-off". This is because the new paint isn't even remotely cured yet, OR bonded very well to the surface.

This "latching-on" process takes a few days to achieve full bonding. Again, FULL CURE-through takes much longer. Other variables like coat-thickness, humidity, air-temp, & air-exchanges are part of the game too!!

For your interior job, use S/G ideally, but Satin is ok. SHEEN doesn't affect curing rates. Leave the doors open as much as possible the first month. This will sound goofy, but use painters-tape & apply some wax-paper strips thru the jamb-area if doors HAVE to be shut, & close tightly. Maybe just the 1st week for this...!

Faron

• jellytoast
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you, faron. I suspected it had something to do with the color. I'll use your tips and hope for a better result.

• weed_cutter
    9 years ago

After the paint is "dry to the touch" you can dust the contact areas with baby powder or cornstarch.

• Faron79
    9 years ago

Powder can be an option, yes...but in dark colors, I'd "stick with" wax-paper. As I mentioned, a deep color takes much longer to "harden-off".
    Light colors & Whites cure faster, but to be safe, the wax-paper is a little safer.

Faron
    (get it? STICK with wax-paper???!?!?! Now THAT'S funny.....right?? RIGHT?!??!?!)
    ;-)

• bitab
    11 months ago

I have had this problem with benj moore paint. ny client wabted to use this brand this project on windows and its very tacky . i never had this problem with behr