Return to the Paint Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
sw resilience vs. bm regal..mix and match

Posted by sarasotasteve (My Page) on
Thu, Dec 15, 11 at 11:33

I am painting the exterior of my home, and I will need 20 gallons of paint plus the primer.

I was planning to go with SW Resilience, but the color nazi's in my community would approve only our color choice that is in the BM booklet.

So I have 2 possibilities...go with the BM Regal and use the colors, or take the colors and have the SW store do a match in the Resilience.

The match does not have to be 100%, but I have read that due to the different bases and other ingredients that go into the paint , it is possible for the matched colors to "bleed out" and not hold up as well as if they were in the original paint formula. Is this true?

Does the BM Regal give me as good a coverage job, and hold up as well as the SW Resilience?

Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: sw resilience vs. bm regal..mix and match

The matched color will not bleed out.

o

The matched color will not bleed out.

True

o

Not true. Doesn't even make proper sense. So, you have a BenM color matched using SW product. If indeed this "bleed out" business were true then that would mean all the Sherwin Williams original colors that are similar in colorant content/formula to the Ben Moore custom match would not hold up and "bleed out" too. Again if true, 99% of us would be living with faded out, washed out exteriors. And that isn't the case.

I can agree that exterior colors in various brand's palettes have been tested for color fastness, weathering, and what not and thus designated appropriate for exterior. And when you have a custom color made for exterior you don't have that extra undercurrent of color science built in. You're kind of at the mercy of the paint store to use the right combo of colorants that can go exterior -- should be a no brainer tho because you can't *just* shoot interior exclusive tints into exterior base. Slight loophole for an argument to not cross brands, not a big one tho IMO especially if flexible on the color match.

o

Not ALL pros use SW,I use BM products 90% of the time.

o

The potential issue, though small, is that competitive matches may use organic pigments to hit a color simply because the computer says to. It is these organic colorants that have the potential to fade out prematurely thus causing a shift in color, not "bleed out", whatever that means. Best bet is to use BM Regal Select - it's a better bucket of paint and you have no worries about color issues. As an aside, SW's Resilience was developed specifically for instances where rain was imminent - in other words, for painters that don't want to lose time simply because it will rain in an hour. It's certainly a decent bucket of paint, but it's no Duration (which is about equal to BM Regal).

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Paint Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here