Return to the Paint Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
a second chance for a pair of chairs.....

Posted by clairebuoyant (My Page) on
Thu, Dec 30, 10 at 11:31

I've had these chairs, from my MIL, stored for years knowing that eventually I'd like to give them a second life. I've sanded them to remove the smooth finish, used a shop vac to remove the dust and then wiped them down with paint thinner.

My intention is to paint them with acrylic craft paint in silver and pewter. (I have also considered using some silver leaf accents?)

My question? Do I need to use a primer first? I purchased Zinsser Bulls Eye 123 primer, but I'm thinking that I don't really need this step?

Photobucket

Looking forward to yo

Looking forward to your feedback.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: a second chance for a pair of chairs.....

I'd recommend a oil "enamel undercoater" for primer, then sand lightly to remove the brushmarks, tack rag and spray the pewter paint. Metallic looks a lot better sprayed than brushed. If applied thus they would really look like metal.
Casey

o
RE: second chance for a pair of chairs.....

Thanks for the feedback!

o
RE: a second chance for a pair of chairs.....

Belated update,..I LOVE how they turned out!!!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Paint Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here