Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kellyann1227

Exterior Paint Crisis

KellyAnn1227
9 years ago

My husband and I purchased this ranch home about a month ago and recently had it painted. I wanted it blue, like navy blue, but I hate how it came out. I need help! I looked at so many pictures of blue houses with red brick, and loved them all. I think I have too much red brick maybe, I just don't know. Any advice anyone can offer would be greatly appreciated!

Comments (6)

• grapefruit1_ar
    9 years ago

Are you going to add shutters? I think that they would help...if painted a dark color...dark red, perhaps. It seems that there should be something to tie the upper and lower parts together.

Also, I think that landscaping will make a difference.

• shipshape
    9 years ago

Never paint anything blue. That's my standard advice. Blue only goes well with white. You now have a blue/brown color scheme which is, as you see, ugly. Sorry.
    Navy blue would have been worse.

I'd go with beige/yellow/red earthy colors. They look good with brick because they are closer in hue. Even fire engine red would look better than blue with that brick.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

The best color with brick is always black.

If you're considering repainting, I'd paint all of the trim black, including around the windows, and I'd paint the siding either a brown or, if you still want blue, BM Van Courtland Blue, which with the black trim I think would actually look very nice.

• graywings123
    9 years ago

Exterior colors are difficult. Blue in the front of my house looks quite a bit different in the back of my house. I have blue shutters and a blue porch floor.

Having gone through the agony of picking colors, I can imagine what happened. You envisioned a darker blue, like a blue black. And on the chip of paint, it looked really dark. But in the sunshine . . .

Even though it isn't what you wanted, I think it looks nice. If I were you, I would live with it for a year or so and then re-evaluate. If you hate it, then repaint.

I would think long and hard about adding shutters. I don't see them adding anything. Taste is so individual - I live in an historic area where everyone has shutters, and black shutters are common and look nice, but there are many beautiful houses with non-black shutters. I had a lovely brick house with green shutters. I'm not a fan of black shutters.

• AtomicJay007
    9 years ago

I think it's definitely salvageable without a whole repaint. I think the white trim makes too stark of a contrast. I'd get onto a website, like Benjamin Moore's, where you can change the colors of certain parts of your exteriors and experiment with new trim colors. I think a slate grey or muted green might make all the difference. Or might make it look worse. ;-) Point is, try some different colors on the trim and see if you can pull the blue and brick together.