Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
brickhouse_gw

Will BM Advance yellow?

brickhouse
13 years ago

Buying my cabinet paint tomorrow. For the dark color (BM Midsummer Night) I plan to use BM Advance, because of the super long dry times I had with my dark sample boards using the Ace paint. For the White (BM Simply white) I will either use Ace Cabinet paint or the BM Advance.

Couldn't get a straight answer from paint store if the white Advance will yellow. According to the paint store it is not a true hybrid so I am guessing it will yellow. Any input?

I wonder about sheen differences if I use two different brands, hmmm.

Comments (5)

• paintguy1
    13 years ago

Yes it will though not nearly as much as a conventional alkyd. If a conventional alkyd yellowing were rated a 10 (worst) and a latex a 2 (it will yellow slightly), Advance would be a 4. Lack of exposure to light and exposure to ammonia will speed yellowing.

• Faron79
    13 years ago

Obviously, the dark color yellowing is irrelevant...since it's dark!

Yes, "normal" hybrids, like ACE's, because there's SOME Alkyd-resins components, will yellow very slightly over time. But, as PG says, nothing like a straight Oil would!

When I show customers my sample-boards with the ACE Cab/door/trim paint (including some dark colors), they like it! I make sure they understand long curing/hardening times though...it's just the way it is with dark colors. Higher colorant loads prolong dry/cure times, especially when the paint has Alkyd components.

Faron

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    13 years ago

I make sure they understand long curing/hardening times though...it's just the way it is with dark colors. Higher colorant loads prolong dry/cure times, especially when the paint has Alkyd components.

Most excellent piece of info to take note of. . .

• brickhouse
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you for your replies.
    Not sure which brand I will choose for the white, but it is great to have the info I need now!

As for the dark color, I posted a while back about the long dry time with my super dark ACE paint. If I went with the Advance instead, would/should it cure faster or slower.
    Confused now...
    Situation is: painting cabinet boxes in place in a house with 2 kids ;) Time is of the essence, but a durable hard finish is also important. Hmmm.
    Another bit of info is we are in the high desert, very dry/low humidity and cold outside temps.
    Any advice on which product would work better?

• paintguy1
    13 years ago

You might be over-thinking this one a bit but to answer your question, full cure for both takes about a week or two. Dry to touch happens much quicker with a latex (30 minutes versus a few hours) but even the best latexes do not get as hard as an alkyd. If you are worried about yellowing in the white, just go latex all around - BM/Inslx makes several excellent satin/semi-gloss paints that will perform great on cabinets. The key is good surface prep to ensure the latex has a clean, well prepped surface that it can bite onto.