Return to the Paint Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
**Need help** with paint options for shared wall

Posted by alwaysonthego93 (My Page) on
Fri, Dec 7, 12 at 10:38

I have a builders grade split level. The entry stairs are 8ft across. The ceiling is 40 ft. So the kitchen, living room and entry all share the same ceiling and walls except a half wall between living/kitchen. My delima is that I want to paint, it is a drab light khaki now. I like grey, chocolate, red, yellow etc etc I love color! I just don't know how to break it all up. Do I take dark terra cotta all the way to the ceiling? Where does 1 room end and begin? If I paint 1 wall in living room it will share with another room. Either it goes clear to the basement or it has to go into the kitchen. HELP PLEASE!!!!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: **Need help** with paint options for shared wall

Not really clear on how these walls are arranged...pictures would be helpful.

You can intentionally coordinate the colors between the rooms, or you may look into adding a strip of molding to the wall to create a break in the color between the 2 rooms.

You can get fancier by adding a built in or a column or a decorative paint element like stripes to create a break point.

o
RE: **Need help** with paint options for shared wall

The simple way to deal with it it to paint all the walls a pale "neutral" and bring the color in with furniture and wall hangings. A pale clear yellow (really pale) would look good with the grey, chocolate and red you like. Or a pale cool grey. Something "barely there".

You can also use large blocks of wall color to mark areas within a larger overall wall color, as shown with the Pinterest image linked below. Frame it in with molding if you want. For example, within the pale yellow walls, blocks of chocolate could distinguish the dining area. Or be used behind the sofa, with art inside the deeper colored area.

And in a different way, pastel, at http://www.houzz.com/photos/502219/Carmen-Nursery-traditional-kids-chicago used a framing color to mark out the wall panels. If you did it this way, frame the areas with something deep, like chocolate, and fill the panel areas with something lighter.

In all cases, keep the painting on the rooms to average ceiling height and let the pale main color fill the top of the wall and the ceiling area.

Here is a link that might be useful: Color blocked wall on Pinterest

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Paint Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here