Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
a_girl_named_max

Switching texture after major ceiling repairs

a.girl.named.max
13 years ago

I hope this is the right forum for my ceiling questions.

Scenario: My livingroom and diningroom ceilings have some major water damage. The ceilings throughout the house currently have a popcorn spray texture. The house was built in 1970 so the popcorn probably has asbestos. The ceilings have been painted with latex several times so the popcorn can't easily be removed.

To make things even more complicated I decided it's a good time to remove two old manufactured fireplaces and install a new gas fireplace in a different location. The old fireplaces are located in the livingroom and the lower level family room. The new future gas fireplace will be installed in a new location in the livingroom.

1. One GC wants to rock over existing ceilings and install new knock down texture.

2. Another GC wants to repair the ceilings as necessary and then put a knock down textured ceiling over the existing popcorn.

3. I originally thought the ceilings would have to totally come down and then new rock installed with new knock down texture.

I'm on a tight budget so I would prefer not taking down the ceilings. Not to mention the mess and the cost of replacing even more attic insulation. I'm not sure if either of the GCs recommendations will work.

I'm looking for input, pros, cons, and suggestions.

Thank you.

A girl named "Max"

Comments (2)