Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
zuponcic

FPE and Farrow & Ball?

vedazu
10 years ago

From a purely technical standpoint, what's the difference in these two paints? Is one superior--especially in a semi-gloss application? I recognize that FPE has many more color choices. But how do they LOOK different on a wall or on the woodwork?

Comments (4)

• kitchendetective
    10 years ago

This is not a definitive answer, by any means, but an offer of an opinion. To me, the best aspect of Farrow and Ball paint is the Estate Emulsion formulation's chalky, velvet-like finish (well, that and the fact that it doesn't give me headaches). If I want a flat finish, that is my go-to paint. I'll even sacrifice a bit on first choice of color in order to use F & B. So, if I cannot use the Estate Emulsion and I do not need to match a previous F & B color, then other possibilities open up. My sense about FPE (not based on experience) is that it does not have that same texture. Earlier posters have stated that it has almost a ceramic feel to it. I would expect better durability from FPE. Since you are using paint with some sheen, I might opt for the FPE, were relative price not a concern. For woodwork and cabinets, I would probably prefer the FPE, with the caveat that some painters do not have the skill or experience FPE application requires. When I looked into FPE for the exterior of a friend's (immense) Victorian, FPE said it did not have a single certified painter in my state, and they couldn't guaranty a satisfactory result.
    I wish you had a way to contact Pirula (Ivette) who used to post here as she has used both.

This post was edited by kitchendetective on Sun, Dec 22, 13 at 13:57

• PRO
    Christopher Nelson Wallcovering and Painting
    10 years ago

Being a painter, I use FPE a good bit and there is no real trick to it. You certainly do not have to be certified to apply it.

• kitchendetective
    10 years ago

Perhaps this thread from many years ago will be helpful, especially comments by Pirula and Rococo.

Here is a link that might be useful: Old FPE, etc. comments

• vedazu
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks so much, kitchen detective--I read Pirula/Rococo and others' comments and it was very helpful. I get it! I've used FPE in one house, and haven't tried the F&B. Different looks, essentially--both top quality. Thank you again.

Sponsored
EA Home Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars69 Reviews
Loudoun County's Trusted Kitchen & Bath Designers | Best of Houzz