Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sarasotasteve

Why do most professionals choose SW paints?

sarasotasteve
12 years ago

Hi.

From my readings on many internet sites, it appears that most professional painters select SW paints when they do a job.

I need someone to paint the exterior of my Florida stucco home, and the 3 gentlemen I am considering ALL said the SW Duration, Resilience, or Super Paint would be excellent. The selection is a matter of my paint budget.

All my life I have used Benjamin Moore paints, and I was thinking of their Regal Select to use on my house, but the painters considered SW better. This confirms what I have been reading on the web, but I wonder why is it so?

Is SW actually a better paint, or do people like to use what they are familiar with?

Can anyone shed some light on this?

Thank you.

Steve

Comments (10)

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    12 years ago

Duration for an exterior (stucco) is the better choice because of its mils of thickness. When applied correctly, it can be as much as twice as thick as other exterior paint products. So, in that case with those specifics, Duration is arguably the better option.

The "popular" brand of paint varies by location. I think it has a lot to do with what's available and where. Some places Ben Moore or PPG or Glidden rules. Can also depend on local reps, size and volume of local independent stores. . . a bunch of stuff.

There are "best" grades in all brands and these days it's not so much about what brand is the best because they all offer similarly competitive product. IMO, if a brand is more popular over others in a particular area, there is likely a range of other factors contributing than just "the best paint".

• davisgard
    12 years ago

I also think it is regional/local. In my area (in California), for some reason the professionals almost always choose Kelly Moore.

• paintguy1
    12 years ago

SW Duration is an excellent bucket and about equal to BM's Regal Select (both are high-build products)- not true for Resilience and Super Paint. Since 85% of your cost is for labor, especially with exteriors, it always pays to go with the best in whichever brand you choose.

• sarasotasteve
    Original Author
    12 years ago

paintguy1, et al

You are the first person that I have seen on the net that does NOT love Super Paint. I have not seen much about Resilience, but because it is a product in between Super Paint and Duration, I guessed it to be a better bucket than Super Paint, but not as good as Duration.
    When my painter learned that we were going to paint, and then sell within 5 years, he advised the Resilience as the best choice because he felt we did not need to spend the big bucks for Duration since we were not planning to stay in the house.

To you, and everyone else, thanks for your wisdom. It has given me the confidence to make my choice.

Steve

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    12 years ago

Wow, didn't realize Regal Select and Duration were in fact so close in the film build category, Regal Select isn't *that much* behind Duration. Thnkx for the info PG1.

Duration Exterior Satin
    Coverage 250-300 sq ft/gal
    5.3-6.4 mils wet; 2.2-2.6 mils dry - up to 7.0 mils wet; 2.8 mils dry

BenM Regal Select Hi-Build Low Lustre
    Coverage 250-350 sq ft/gal
    5.3 mils wet; 2.3 mils dry

And for comparison Super Paint Exterior Satin
    Coverage 350-400 sq ft/gal
    4 mils wet; 1.44 mils dry

Super Paint is a great value given the right circumstances. However, even if selling in a short time frame I'd always choose top grades for exterior. Because in five years you can feel confident that a 5 year old paint job done with top grade will look practically brand new. A lesser grade, maybe not so fab and fresh looking after 5 years. And what if you don't move?

Logically for me and priced per square, it's just not that much more money and a good looking paint job is ROI guaranteed when selling IMO. Smarter to price compare per square of coverage and film build, not per gallon especially exterior.

• PRO
    Christopher Nelson Wallcovering and Painting
    12 years ago

Not ALL pros use SW, I would use BM over SW any day.

• obrionusa
    12 years ago

Funcolors, Where did you get the specs for those paints at?

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    12 years ago

obrionusa - that info must be made available for every brand, grade, paint base by the paint manufacturer in the form of a Technical Data Sheet. Sometimes the manuf. includes it on the label but it's not required. TDS's are often PDFs posted online. If a paint manuf. makes you dig for the coverage per sq. ft./gal data in particular, that should make ya raise an eyebrow. Sometimes there's nothing to hide, they just don't have their sh1t together to make it super easy and convenient for consumers to find that info. Yet other times the data will show the coverage, and therefore price per square, sucks and it's info that isn't exactly what marketing dreams are made of. So it's swept under the rug (so to speak). Still published per the rules of the game, just not easily found. Won't find that happening with the bigger name brands, usually it's the smaller, or uber boutique, or designer-y brands. Because they want you to see and feel *value* in their product in other ways beside price per square.

sarasotasteve - you have nothing to worry about. "Good enough" are the magic words. Some people cannot embrace a "good enough" color match and then there are different issues to deal with. You're already there. Colors cross brands and are custom matched every minute of every day and it all comes out just fine. Just makes sure the color match meets your ideal of "good enough" not the paint store's or the contractor's.

• Michael
    12 years ago

I wouldn't say that most professionals spec SW. If you live in the pacific northwest, you would spec Miller paint. On the east coast, Muralo paint.

It's a regional thing.

When a job requires a lot of prep work, you should always apply the highest quality paint. To do otherwise lessens the value of your work.