Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
candicek_gw

repairing damage from trim removal

candicek
13 years ago

hi!

I'm new here :)

We are doing a lot of work on our house right now and this place appears to be a great resource. Forgive me if I've lacked in my searching skills to find answer on this topic...

When our home was built, the builders used a 1x4 MDF board to trim the entire house... baseboard and door casing. It's horrible. It's also been painted multiple times and when they painted it the first time it appears that they didn't bother to dust it off first.

Anyhow, we are starting to paint the walls and I decided that since we're painting the walls and replacing the floor, it just makes sense to go ahead and rip out the old trim too.

We carefully scored the trim, but when removing it, still managed to do quite a bit of damage to the drywall by peeling off the paper where the paint/caulk stuck.

The baseboards don't concern me as I'll be putting up something taller anyhow and that will cover it. However, the door casings... it appears that the typical width for trim there is only 2.5-3 inches. The damage is 4 inches out from the edge.

Is there any recommended method or products for patching this so it looks neat and tidy? I've floated drywall patches before, but only in new construction so I'm just terrified that I'll never be able to get the texture to match.

Any ideas on how I can fix this? (I'm no remodel guru, but I'm willing to attempt most things)

The wall texture is orange peel by the way.

thanks!

ck

Comment (1)