Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shakalaka_gw

exterior paint - red fades?

shakalaka
13 years ago

We were leaning towards painting our new home red with cream trim. I think it's charming and we are so sick of seeing all the houses in the same color of drab. But we've been told that it's really going to fade and definitely don't want a pink house. Also, I wonder if it will be just "too much".

The other option I like is a deep, warm gray with white trim and an orange door. I think the trim and door will give it some pop, but I feel a little like we gave up and assimilated.

Comments (7)

• Faron79
    13 years ago

I've been in the "paint world" for goin'-on 10 yrs. now (upscale independant retailer), and I wouldn't do it!

It MAY hurt resale as well...people just looking at it, and thinking, "Jeez, we're not even thru the front door, and we've gotta repaint the house"!
    I kinda like the idea myself...BUT...it is what it is...a potential deal-breaker.

Yes, fading is a lot faster in Reds, due to the artificial manufacture of those type of pigments. They don't have near the Opacity (hiding power), and the fade is faster relative to "Earth-based" pigments like Whites, Umbers, Red & Yellow-oxides, etc.

Bottom-line: In 5 years, your S & W sides will be a different color than the N & E sides!
    * Sooooo.....there's a reason you hardly ever see a Red house....
    * Red trims and doors...YES definitely! Broad areas....Ummmm....No.

Faron

• shakalaka
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you Faron

• Faron79
    13 years ago

No prob!
    Sorry to be the "bearer of bad news...."

Faron

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    13 years ago

Just have to ask at the store which reds are good for exterior. Whatever red they recommend will be based on their colorant system. SW for example has a newish red base (gloss tho) that works great for the ever so popular red front door gig but not all SW stores have it because it's really expensive.

A general rule is organic colors like red, blue, green and yellow tend to fade more quickly then inorganic colors. Inorganics are typically the earth-tone exterior colors like beiges, browns, etc. and are considered more stable - have to ask about the bolder colors, like a red, that can go exterior.

Premixed exterior colors are dwindling by the day because stores are streamlining product etc. to be more efficient. Dunn Edwards, for example, only offers a white - Swiss Coffee if I remember right. But you can sometimes find other premixed exterior colors in satin. Black and white premixed colors are still very common at almost all paint stores and you can still find a premixed ext. red, green, brown on occasion.

Really just need to shop the very best pro paint stores in your area and see what they recommend.

• PRO
    Christopher Nelson Wallcovering and Painting
    13 years ago

Just have to ask at the store which reds are good for exterior.

I am sure funcolors ment to add a real paint store, not a big box place. Asking this kind of question @ HD or Lowe's would be like asking a brick.

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    13 years ago

lol! Yes, chris n, that's exactly what I meant. Thank you for helping me out there. Definitely agree that you have to seek out the best pro's for those more challenging paint/color issues. Because as Faron outlined so well, red exteriors are not typical and there really are things you must consider carefully. Proceed with caution - at a real paint store! :~D