Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jen71457

Removing painted popcorn

jen71457
15 years ago

A number of years ago I had to paint the ceiling of our small office to cover a stain caused by our leaking roof. I know that it's extremely difficult to remove once it's been painted, but what would be the easiest way? I'm getting ready to remove wallpaper and figured I might as well do it all while I'm in there making a huge mess. Thanks in advance!

Comments (2)

• jan9
    15 years ago

Scrape the popcorn with a putty knife. It won't take the popcorn off but it will chip off some of the paint. With some paint off a spray of water will get to the popcorn and soften it for removal.

• monaw
    15 years ago

jan9 is exactly correct...I have removed many popcorn ceilings that have been painted and those that have not. YOU MUST SCRAPE THE TIPS OFF BEFORE YOU SPRAY. I wouldn't scrape if it hasn't been painted though, because in my opinion those chunks of cardboard like bumps help absorb water. If you scrape like he says, then spray the bajeebies out of it (use plastic under a big drop cloth) and let it soak in, then spray again until it is totally saturated, it will actually come off in "sheets". I found that I had to soak/spray for a good 45 minutes or so with painted over ceilings. When the water starts dripping, let it soak in and keep spraying, let it soak in,...etc.
    Don't try to get it off until it "gives up" or you will make a gigantic mess for yourself. Keep a big trash can with a bag next to you and drop the sheets into it. After a good dry, I skimmed my ceilings with drywall and sanded with drywall screen and the pole, primed with Zin.123 and painted. It's hard work,...I kid you not. Worth it though to get cottage cheese off the cieling! It makes the ceilings look one foot higher. I once did an entire house.