Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lblue_gw

need some advice having kitchen cabs painted

lblue
13 years ago

Hi- We are getting new kitchen cabinets & have the option of having them installed unfinished & painted onsite. I have an old house & am seeking a period type kitchen white shaker style. The cabinetmaker uses a conversion varnish & I prefer the look of ben moore satin impervo oil. I also personally don't mind the yellowing of the white over time. What type of primer should we use & how many coats of each? Do people use any conditioners or thinners etc? We may hire a local painter but wanted to get some expert advice so I am not completely in the dark. Thanks!

Comments (2)

• colour.me.christine
    13 years ago

Hello lblue,

My name is Christine, and I work for The Home Depot in Atlanta, Georgia.

If you use oil based paint, you should an oil based primer. You only have to do one coat of primer. After it dries apply two coats of paint. Sometimes people are satisfied with only one coat of paint, but, for the most part people apply two coats.

Using a conditioner, it is not necessary, people use wood conditioner before they stain.

As for question about using a thinner, that is something you should talk to your paint associate about when you purchase your paint. Thinning is not always necessary or recommended. It depends on how you apply the paint (spraying versus rolling) and if the specific paint that you purchase can be thinned without losing the integrity of the quality.

I hope that helped!

Let me know if I can help with anything else,
    Christine

• fnmroberts
    13 years ago

I'm in the midst of painting my cabinets. Ours are builder grade solid hardwood which was factory varnished. The end panels however are a printed hardboard which, over the years, has held color whereas the cabinets darkened such that the mis-match is quite noticible. So, short of new cabinets, paint is my solution. Here's how I have proceeded.

If you're planning hardware, install it first to "locate" the holes. Then remove.

I sanded (150 grit)to get a "tooth" to the varnish, cleaned with a tack cloth and degreased with Dirtex. You will be able to skip the 3rd step with new cabinets but I wouldn't the first two.

Prime with BIN, shelac-based(oil)primer.

I am painting with Cabinet Coat(latex) brand semi gloss. I've used it before and it is very durable. Two coats. Use a quality brush and full vertical strokes to minimize the brush look. Quality enamels self-level nicely but the hand-finished brush look is still slightly apparent, and desirable to many.

HINT: You need to be careful with enamel paint not to apply too much at one time as it skins and can run on vertical surfaces. Your "working" time with latex paints is limited. You're better off to apply thinly and anticipate a 3rd coat until you're more comfortable with any paint you are using.

Hope this gives so useful tips and confidence to go forward.