Return to the Paint Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
paint before installing interior wood trim or after?? help!

Posted by coconutlemongrass (My Page) on
Wed, Nov 14, 12 at 22:20

Please help! We are removing our old wood trim and putting up new poplar trim, craftsman style, on all our windows, doors, and baseboards. We are painting it white. Should we prime and paint the boards first on saw horses and then mount them and touch up the nail holes after OR mount the boards first and then prime and paint while they are in place on the wall?? I want it to look as excellent as possible, but with that said, I am a DIYer and will be using a brush. I have BM Impervo latex, and do not have a primer pick out yet. Thanks for your help!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: paint before installing interior wood trim or after?? help!

Get Fresh Start for primer and do it either way. Me, I would install it first, most would not.

o

Do you recommend Fresh Start Latex all purpose primer on the new wood? Or do I need to consider Oil based? I know it is an age old discussion. I am hoping to avoid oil based, but it seems it is maybe the better choice.

o

It might be the better choice, but again, for me,I would use the latex, most would not.

o

I installed what seemed like miles of window and door trim, baseboard, and shoe mold a few years ago. I painted before installation. I lightly sanded the bare wood, primed with Kilz primer, lightly sanded again, painted one coat, lightly sanded again, and applied a second coat. Poplar trim is a nappy wood, thus the grain raised after each application, requiring the light sanding between coats.

At the time, Kilz was the only primer I was used to, but Christoper recommends the Fresh Start a lot. May have to try that in the future.

After installation and caulking the nail holes, mitered joints, etc, I touched up the paint.

Painting before installation is much faster, eliminates taping, floor protection, etc.

o

Like I said, most would not.(:-)

o

If I install the trim and paint after, would you recommend caulking all the seams on an arts and crafts style window trim? I am going to pick up my Fresh Start primer and we are starting today. It looks like we may install it all first and paint after. It is getting cold here and painting trim in the unheated garage is probably not a good idea anyway.

o

Good idea if it is below 50 where you are and yes I would caulk seams after priming first
NOTE do NOT use pure silicon caulk!

o

We just finished putting up the trim on our first window. Is any wood filler appropriate for filling the nail holes before we paint? What grit sand paper should I use after the first coat of primer. Thanks for all the help!

o

wood filler, yes
220 grit paper

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Paint Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here