Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
leennp

Help me decide on exterior paint colors

leennp
10 years ago

We purchased a 1970's house a few months ago we are extensively remodeling. Have to repaint some of the exterior areas, exterior doors, shutters. The house is mostly brick, with the front porch area, soffits, and under carport that are painted the original cream color, doors and shutters are a dark green. Windows are dark brown aluminum which we are also replacing. I do think the colors they picked go with the brick, but wondering if I should consider any other colors for the most curb appeal, as I think house is kinda of bland? I know the roof is a different color than the original. We will be replacing the windows as part of the remodel going with Marvin Integrity, most likely in pebble gray, have attached those samples pictures as well so feel free to comment, other choices are cashmere and bronze.

Comments (6)

• leennp
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Another view

• leennp
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Closer view of shutters on brick

• leennp
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Exterior window color samples from Marvin

• puppypumpkin
    10 years ago

The house colors are already perfect except the sidewalk. I would paint it a deep shade of magenta or similar, something that matches the brick and the plants. I always use the rule, light and dark for basics then dull and bright for accents. That is what the current paint colors show, the dark brick against the light background and the dark shutters all blend together well. If you accent by painting the sidewalk a deep color, it will set it off beautifully....don't use black for the sidewalk, you won't be able to see at night to walk on it...black h3re would be too much black..just the dark shutters will do the trick. It's your house, you have to be satisfied with the colors yourself, this is just my opinion. becky ps a deep green, almost a black, would be better for the shutters instead of a black. be cautious using too much extra color as you already have a lot of color with the brick column and .plants. some people paint the brick but my opinion is the natural brick looks better. good luck.

• puppypumpkin
    10 years ago

The house colors are already perfect except the sidewalk. I would paint it a deep shade of magenta or similar, something that matches the brick and the plants. I always use the rule, light and dark for basics then dull and bright for accents. That is what the current paint colors show, the dark brick against the light background and the dark shutters all blend together well. If you accent by painting the sidewalk a deep color, it will set it off beautifully....don't use black for the sidewalk, you won't be able to see at night to walk on it...black h3re would be too much black..just the dark shutters will do the trick. It's your house, you have to be satisfied with the colors yourself, this is just my opinion. becky ps a deep green, almost a black, would be better for the shutters instead of a black. be cautious using too much extra color as you already have a lot of color with the brick column and .plants. some people paint the brick but my opinion is the natural brick looks better. good luck.

• leennp
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for opinion puppy. I had thought the lighter paint color fit the color of brick well and could not picture the siding a darker shade than the brick. The shutters i think once were a dark green but have changed over time. There will be a new front door that has 3/4 glass in it, and thinking of changing exterior light fixtures.