Return to the Paint Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Painting over wallpaper

Posted by aok27502 (My Page) on
Fri, Nov 25, 11 at 21:58

I am going to do some painting in which one room has wallpaper. The owner does NOT want the wallpaper removed, she wants it painted. Apparently there was a wallpaper removal project in another area of the house. It seems the paper was not installed correctly, maybe over bare sheetrock. Anyway, it came off in postage stamp sized pieces and left the walls a mess. She does not want to go through this again. I have only done one other paint-over-paper job, and that was in really good shape and went well.

The wallpaper is in good shape, appears to be well adhered, without any peeling. EXCEPT. The room is three sided, with a large open entry on the fourth side. So, where the room wall meets the hallway wall at an outside corner, the wallpaper just stops. At this corner, the paper is a little worn, and maybe 1/4" or so has pulled up. I will need to stick it back down before I paint. My question is, what is the best method to re-adhere this area, of perhaps a few feet of height by 1/4" wide?

I am planning on two coats of primer and two coats of paint. Please advise any other steps I need to take to make this a success. Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Painting over wallpaper

joint compound, oil based primer is a MUST

o

The Ben Moore paint site recommends using clear caulk to seal edges.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ben Moore - painting over wallpaper

o

Thanks to both of you for the tips. I'm embarrassed that I didn't think to look on a paint site for info.

My husband has suggested using a shellac based primer instead of oil based. It smells a little better, and dries faster. Any comments?

o

Don't try to stick it down. Remove it. Use a straight edge and level to mark and cut away the loose edge. Fill and feather the edge with drywall compound and sand it smooth.

Be sure to caulk the seams at the baseboard and any other wood trim. This will prevent future seam lifting. Caulk after primer.

Wash the walls before proceeding. Dirt will keep ANY paint or primer from adhering.

If the wallcovering is paper, you can use GARDZ as the primer, followed by two full coats of paint. If you need to block out the wallcovering design, your only choice is an alkyd primer, similar to Coverstain.

o

Brushworks, I don't understand your last statement. All I really remember about the wallpaper is that it is dark with ugly flowers. What should I be looking at?

o

coverstain would be best
your'e husband said shellac based would not smell as bad
he is very wrong
coverstain makes a low odor, which just means it does not small as bad as the regular
it still smells, but Bin smells way worse

o

If you need to block out the wallcovering design, your only choice is an alkyd primer, similar to Coverstain.

All I really remember about the wallpaper is that it is dark with ugly flowers. What should I be looking at?

Coverstain.

o

I think, maybe, you want, Coverstain

o

Well, after all that, she's decided to hold off for a while. But I'll mark this thread if/when they decide, or until it comes up again.

And Coverstain it is. :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Paint Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here