Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bobby1973_gw

Painting Garage Drywall

bobby1973
10 years ago

Hi folks - we're having a new construction home being built with completion right around the corner. The homes in our development that are already completed have those unpainted garages with the bare drywall and the spackle all over the walls and the ceiling. I've always found that hideous, so I approached the painters today, who are currently painting the interior of the house. I asked them for a quote if I were to pay them to paint the walls and. ceiling in the garage. They gave me a quote of $900. I thought that was very excessive, but they explained to me that painting the inside of a garage is much more labor intensive than simply painting a bedroom for example. They said that there are many steps involved including a lot of sanding and mudding (some sort of spackling they do) and then 2 coats of paint. They also said I would need to pay for the paint and they're saying that they will need two of those large 5 gallon paint containers, which will run me about $80. So we're talking about $1,000 just to get the interior of the garage painted. I told him that I have to think about it. I don't know anything about the labor involved in painting a garage, but $1,000 just seems awefully expensive. Does anyone know if this is a fair price for this type of painting?
Thanks kindly everyone!

Comments (9)

• PRO
    Christopher Nelson Wallcovering and Painting
    10 years ago

There is a whole bunch of prep work needed to finish a garage like that. The drywall guys do as little as possible to get by, so you're painters will indeed have a whole lot of work to do. Just hope they know how.

• graywings123
    10 years ago

The unpainted garages I have seen have had the basic mudding done between the drywall boards and the nails have been quickly covered over with drywall mud (that's the spackle you are seeing). Based on estimate I have gotten from painters, yes, there is $1000 worth of work to do this at near to the quality level of the inside of your house.

I don't know what level of perfection you want, but you should be able to get someone in to just spray paint two coats of paint (or one coat primer and one coat paint) onto the walls and ceiling for less than $1000. My gut feeling is that it's not going to take 10 gallons to cover it.

You could save a lot of money if you did it yourself with a roller. If you have never painted before, this would be a great project to start with.

• geoffrey_b
    10 years ago

I painted my 27 x 27 garage - I'll tell you it's a lot of work - that ceiling is really big - especially when using a roller. I don't think $1,000 is excessive.

It's really nice to have it painted, rather than just bare drywall.

• paintguy22
    10 years ago

That sounds cheap to me. The garages are just fire taped to meet code, which means they need two more coats of mud with sanding in between coats if you are looking for the type of finish that the interior drywall normally gets. A normal 2 car garage can be sprayed by a painter in about 4 or 5 hours and normally I will use 5 or 6 gallons of paint. Without a sprayer, it's probably a day job for one man. I don't know where they are getting five gallon buckets of paint for $40, but that's some cheap paint there. The bulk of the cost is in finishing the drywall though.

• bobby1973
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Well thank you everyone for your thoughtful feedback! I'm realizing now that this is indeed a very labor-intensive job.

• PRO
    Christopher Nelson Wallcovering and Painting
    10 years ago

five gallon buckets of paint for $40, but that's some cheap paint there

wow, missed that, if true, I would without a doubt, not recommend it

$140 would be cheap

• bobby1973
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Just out of curiosity, I called an outside painting contractor for an estimate. He just emailed me with a price quote of $2,000! (twice the amount the builder's painter is charging me). I couldn't believe it. But still to try lower than $900 estimate, I'm going to ask him what if he just does 1 layer of mudding and sanding, as opposed to 2 layers. I'm not necessarily looking of the garage drywall to look as perfect as the interior of the home. I just don't want the garage to have that unfinished look that most new constructions homes have with the unfinished drywall and the spackle lines all over the place.

• lazy_gardens
    10 years ago

For $900 you could buy a compressor and a paint sprayer and a few buckets of paint. Learn how to spray paint.

If all you want is to cover the naked look, spray one coat of drywall primer and one coat of white flat paint. Skip the sanding and smoothing that an interior wall needs. It's a garage!

OR - buy a lot of pegboard, paint it white and cover the walls with that.