Return to the Paint Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Same color looks different on different walls. HELP!

Posted by sarah2531 (My Page) on
Sat, Nov 8, 08 at 21:15

I am in the process of repainting my foyer. The paint was tested on a white wall and I loved the color. The rest of the foyer had previously been Behr's Warm Terra Cotta, which looks exactly like the name sounds, so on the darker side. We have put 2 coats so far over the terra cotta, and the new color (Behr's Gobi Desert) looks a lot lighter on those walls than it does on the wall that was white before. We did NOT prime. Is this essential/the cause of the problem? If the darker color was showing through, wouldn't it make the new paint look darker rather than lighter? I don't know what to do to fix it, but I don't like the look of the lighter color at all!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Same color looks different on different walls. HELP!

Hi Sarah,

Priming wouldn't affect the color since it's a lighter color, and light tones have better opacity than deep ones.

Drytime could be the main factor. You didn't indicate how long your 2 new coats have been on.
As moisture comes out of the paint film, the color deepens some. This could take a couple weeks, with the sheen "evening-out" taking even longer.

Was your test area near the foyer?

If your entry has lots of light, colors will seem lighter there.

Faron

o

1. Did you check to see that your mixed gallons are a good color match to the color you sampled.

2. Behr and Kilz Casual Colors seem to take longer to dry out to true color than other brands -- comment based on my personal experience with both brands and particular colors. Maybe all you need to do is wait a day or two and let the color come up to its final appearance.

o

how large a color sample did you paint--did you paint in same foyer to test?
you have my sympathies--we are trying to decide whether or not to repaint house we bought because of the trim tone and walls and the light changes so much that it is VERY difficult...

o

It's probably just the lighting and shadows making it look like a different color...happens all the time. I have even had people accuse me of using two different colors in the same room.

o

Thanks for the replies. The test area was pretty large, about 6 feet square, and it was in the foyer but on a different wall. We did match up the gallons to the test area by painting over part of that and it matched perfectly, so the color itself is definitely the same.
I think it must be the light, as suggested--we get light coming in from several directions in that area, so I guess it's something I'm just going to have to live with.

o

we bought house that we thought had light tan walls and darker trim with some green tint
lo and behold when they moved their furniture out and we had time to spend--we discover the walls are yellow-tint not tan and the trim has a definite pink tone...
not my taste at all
costs too much to redo the trim (especially lighter) so we are trying to find some paint for the walls to tone down the yellow
I have tried 6 different shades of tan trying to find one that is more true tan and that is not too dark...
the colors in the rooms make it very difficult and I am worried about the ceilings...

o

email me at madisonwhitewolf@gmail.com for more on that collect message.

o

Also the color of surrounding walls could throw off the color of one wall versus the other one. I had one accent wall which was the wrong color it made one out of three tan walls look purple.

o

I have exactly the same problem!The paint was tested on a white wall and I loved the color. The rest of the room is painted green and the new color looks a lot lighter on those walls than it does on the wall that was white before.

---------------------------------------------------------------------- ----------

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Paint Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here