Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
griz4

painting over newly stained wood

griz4
15 years ago

we just installed french doors inside our home separating some rooms. House just bought 4 months ago and existing doors, trim already stained, approx 18 years old. We decided to stain the new doors/trim but since did not know the type of stained used, took an existing piece to our paint store and they tried to color match it so it could be close as possible to existing wood in house. I did a couple of small spots on bottom of door and it looked pretty close (the french door is pine), so i began applying to all the door. As it dried, it got darker- too dark. The brand of stain is ZAR. even worse, the trim around the door using same stain dried a completely different color, so i am not sure what type of wood that was(the french door came in a kit). so it really does not look like I want. I have not put any polyurethane on it yet. is it too late to paint it by using a oil based primer to cover the stain and then paint the doors another color? From what i have been reading, really does not seem i can do anything to lighten the stain, plus i doubt i will ever match the color to what is existing by doing it this way, so am thinking painting might be better option.

Comments (2)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH