Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tabbaldwin

stains under paint

tracey_b
11 years ago

Flooring folks spilled a bucket of clear poly down the staircase. They took care of the stairs and floor by re-sanding, but it's still obvious where it splattered on the walls and trim, even after painters re-painted.

Is there anything I can do to remedy this? Maybe they didn't use a "good enough" primer to hide where the poly splattered? When the light hits just right it really stands out and is driving me crazy.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Tracey

Comments (7)

• PRO
    Christopher Nelson Wallcovering and Painting
    11 years ago

Painters SHOULD have sanded it down and applied a QUALITY stain blocking primer before painting.

• tracey_b
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Well, it's obvious they didn't.....so my question is, is there anything I can do to correct it? Surely I can still sand and then use what particular primer?

Thank you.

• PRO
    11 years ago

BIN

Here is a link that might be useful: bin

• PRO
    11 years ago

forgot to add that you will most likely now have to prime and re paint the whole wall as it will flash

• tracey_b
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks, Christophern. Great....part of one wall is the 2-story foyer, 20' high. The biggest mess was on the trim and the risers (?) of the stairs.....you can see where it dribbled. I can't believe they didn't do a better job of "repair".

• paintguy22
    11 years ago

Are you sure it is a stain? We spray trim and get overspray all over the walls and paint right over that overspray with no problems, ever....and we don't prime either. You might want to check the drips on the wall and see if you can feel them. If they are actual humps, that could be what you are seeing when the light hits the wall just right and it may not actual be a stain. Sanding the bumps down may not even work though because even the smallest bump in the wall may show with a washable paint when you are dealing with direct sunlight hitting the wall. They may have to float a skim coat of mud over the drips to disguise them or recess each drip below the wall surface and patch over it...depending on how many drips there are, skim coating may be easier. This should all be paid for by the flooring guys of course. Try the primer first though....can't tell if it's a stain or not until you try killing it.

• tracey_b
    Original Author
    11 years ago

No, I'm not sure it's a "stain". All I know is the walls had already been painted when the flooring guys knocked a gallon of clear matte poly down the stairs when they were applying the final coat. I can see exactly where the splatter was even though they supposedly primed and repainted. That's what I want to eliminate.

Thanks!

Sponsored
Velero Deck Designs
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
Loudoun County's Source for High-End Custom Decks & Outdoor Structures