Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
threeapples

Painter prefers SW ProClassic waterbased alkyd to BM Satin Imperv

threeapples
11 years ago

which is better for trim and doors? I learned about the BM satin impervo here on GW and, when I mentioned it to my painter he said it has a lot of voc's and drastically yellows over time. Does anyone have photos of the difference between yellowed and newly-applied satin impervo. Can anyone speak to which product is better? thanks.

Comments (8)

• PRO
    Christopher Nelson Wallcovering and Painting
    11 years ago

Any oil paint will yellow over time

• iPaint1
    11 years ago

Satin Impervo comes in oil or water based. Where I live in Ohio however, oil is no longer carried in gallons and no paint store can tell you how long the quarts will even be on the shelves. VOC laws are taking it away. Your painter that uses water based alkyd is ahead of the curve. I have used 2 SW water based alkyds. Pro classic and Pro Mar 200. They're both fantastic. Much lower VOC. They feel great, look great, and are tough products. Lots of painters just use a water based acrylic on the trim anymore which is fine. Oil will definitely yellow over time. Some oils will yellow a lot. It is still good stuff but it is not by any means above a water based alkyd. You will get a great finish with anything as long as the painter is good. I would let him use what he wants and feels comfortable with using. Especially if they have had good results with it.

• tuesday_2008
    11 years ago

I have a BR vanity that was painted in SW Pro-Classics about 4 years ago in Dove White - it has not yellowed at all. Looks like new.

• PRO
    11 years ago

Pro classic is not oil

• tuesday_2008
    11 years ago

You are right Christoper! My point was OP should use water base paint.

• sombreuil_mongrel
    11 years ago

Yellowing in oil paint is only detectable if the color is stark white-white. If you use cream or darker shades to begin with the point is moot, and the benefits of an oil enamel over ordinary latex/acrylic are plain. Oil will last virtually forever and is the most scrub-able finish.
    I said "ordinary"; the new emulsion paints are really great. If you want no-odor/low VOC but still want a hard long-lasting finish, try one of the new formulas like BenMoore's "Aura" line. The finish of their interior gloss/semi-gloss enamels is indistinguishable from Impervo or Dulamel oil-based.
    Casey

• PRO
    11 years ago

+ oil is hard to come by most anywhere, except WV for some reason