Return to the Paint Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
cost - popcorn ceiling removal and paint

Posted by NeedBeer (My Page) on
Thu, Nov 17, 11 at 20:12

Just had a painting contractor over. Need to get the popcorn off my ceilings, prep and paint them. Using his estimate ($7500) for about 1400 square foot of ceiling area (living and dining are vaulted 14 foot - rest is flat 8 foot ceilings), that works out to over $5 a square foot. seems really high.

I have calls in to others, but not had much luck getting any call backs. I already work over 80 hours a week, and dont have time to do it myself (did the master bedroom myself last year).

Anyone else have this done? what did you wind up paying for it? I also posted this in remodeling forum. wasnt sure which it applied to more. Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: cost - popcorn ceiling removal and paint

The big question is - does it contain asbestos or not? You can look in the yellow pages and find asbestos testing places. Or you can look the other way, which I do not recommend, based on experience.

I had an estimate of $600 for a 15 x 25 foot living room/dining room - decided to do it myself. I got a lung infection from the dust, developed pneumonia, etc. Doctor bills plus lost time from work was way over the $600. (Antibiotic pills were $400 for 10 days.) Also, the hugest mess you ever saw, anywhere.

But, if you are really a die hard DIYer, please invest in a respirator, not a little painting mask. Good luck!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Paint Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here