Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kendog2_gw

Best Leveling Primer for Cabinets - Zinsser 1-2-3 or Fresh Start

kendog2
12 years ago

I'm preparing to paint our cabinets, doors and trim. I have some Zinsser 123 but it seems really thick and sticky. I'm worried that it will leave brush marks. I've heard that BM Fresh Start has superior leveling capabilities. Since I'm not a professional painter, I'll need all the help I can get.

I'll be using Ace Cabinet and Door paint for the top coat. Can someone please tell me which primer would level best? Fresh Start is much more expensive ($37). I don't want to spend the extra money unless it will make a difference.

Comments (9)

• PRO
  • Michael
    12 years ago

Fresh Start

A very light sanding with #220 paper when primer is dry will provide a super smooth surface for paint.

• PRO
    Christopher Nelson Wallcovering and Painting
    12 years ago

Fresh Start Superior

I don't think there is any superior, it is just Fresh Start, oil or latex

• Michael
    12 years ago

Behr paints have listened to customer requests and has improved their product over the years. I have applied it a few times this past season (commercial walls) and am quite pleased with the overall experience.

Use the Premium Plus.

Some painters are like car detailers. Anything sold OTC and outside of a "real" paint store is bad. For example, Meguiar's is a well known product in the car industry. Yet, among some professionals it's crap compared to Wolfgang, Optium, etc.

That's simply not true. :) Meguiar's is equal or better in most applications.

• kendog2
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Christophern,

I did a search of Fresh Start images. It seems that there are many varieties of Fresh Start primer: All Purpose, Stain Block, Fast Dry, Penetrating, Enamel Underbody and Superior. Most of them appear to be available in oil or latex. The Ace store where I purchased the primer carried only the All Purpose and Superior types.

Brushworks, it's good to know that Behr has been improving their product. I haven't tried their Premium Plus. We like Meguiar's products too.

• Vertise
    10 years ago

"Fresh Start

A very light sanding with #220 paper when primer is dry will provide a super smooth surface for paint."

Why the need to sand after priming? Do you then vacuum and damp sponge the walls to remove the dust before rolling on the paint?

• paintguy22
    10 years ago

For normal wall painting, the dust will fall to the ground because of gravity. There would be no dust to remove with vacuums or damp sponges and if there was dust it would be such a small amount that it couldn't possibly be a factor for affecting the adhesion of the paint. Also, some guys sand between coats just because that is what they think you are supposed to do....in other words, it is part of the process. I sand for 2 reasons....to make a surface smooth or to rough up a surface (create tooth) so that paint will stick. I see no reason to sand a smooth surface because it's already smooth. I see no reason to sand a primer so that paint will stick to it since this is one of the primary reasons for using a primer in the first place. You can sand it between coats if you want of course. It certainly won't hurt anything. In my view though, this is a waste of time if the surface isn't rough.

• Chaz Andre
    3 years ago

We actually used Zinsser and fresh start before final coats of cabinet coats. When buying I asked if this was overkill on the primer, but the owner of the Benjamin Moore store told me one of his customers who has a refinishing company does the same so I felt better. They turned out great! Waiting for the new hinges.