Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kellic_gw

Retinting paint

KelliC
10 years ago

I bought paint from Home Depot about 4 months ago when it was on sale. I've had no problems with any of the other colors except the green I bought for my kitchen. I had a color match done to mimic Behr's Carolina Parakeet. But now when I went to paint the room the paint is too yellow. I even put a bit on the paint chip and it's not the same color I had asked for. Of course it looked close enough then, but now it's 4 months out and I'm seeing that this color won't work in my room. I'd like to paint it Glidden Granny Smith Apple if possible. Since Granny apple is darker with a little more blue in it can they retint this? I only have 2 gallons but I don't want to bring those in if they won't do it.

Comments (8)

• KelliC
    Original Author
    10 years ago

These are the colors

• jcalhoun
    10 years ago

I know they won't refund/exchange paint but I don't think it be an issue to retint it, give them a call.

• KelliC
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I'm working pretty much the entire time they're open the next 4 days so that's why I asked here. I'm not patient enough to wait to ask them lol.

• paintguy22
    10 years ago

They can try. That's about all they can do. They will add colorants to the old color and try to make it look like the new color you have chosen. If they mistinted the Carolina Parakeet color, then I would ask for a refund on that paint and use that money to buy the new paint.

• graywings123
    10 years ago

What is not working in your favor is that you waited four months to discover the problem. I doubt that your average Home Depot paint counter person has the skills to re-mix the paint. They follow paint "recipes" created by the paint companies. Period. I think the best you can get is a refund, but they have a 90 day limit on refunds.

• Faron79
    10 years ago

Depends on how much is used from the can.

Each tintbase has its limit of how much colorant it'll handle...if some paint is already used, then there's even LESS room (PROPORTIONALLY) for added colorant.

Then there's the issue of the 2nd gallon....see where I'm goin' here?!

Faron

• KelliC
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I waited 4 months because I bought paint for my entire house at that time and have painted every other room but this one. It's not like I painted it then decided 4 months later I wanted another color, the kitchen just had the most heavy stuff to move so it was last. Every other color was exactly the right color except for this one unfortunately.

I was able to get off work early today so I headed straight there. The girl at the counter told me that the Carolina Parakeet doesn't translate to Glidden well so they normally don't sell it. She apologized and said that the person that sold it to me should have known that. Since it was indeed more yellow than the paint chip she tried multiple times to darken it but it ended up looking really muddy and grey. She was nice enough to exchange them for me for the new color that works a lot better in my kitchen and isn't burning my corneas.

I know a lot of you don't use brands like Behr/Glidden, but I guess the Glidden bases aren't as bright white as the Behr so they don't recommend using a Behr color in Glidden paint or vice versa.

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    10 years ago

Glidden is just like any other big brand, they have several tiers and grades. Just like any other brand, you need to buy the best grade possible. And just like any other brand, things can not go well with a particular can for a bevy of reasons - happens in all brands.

I've had good luck specifying Glidden Professional.

Glad you got it all worked out!