Return to the Paint Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Best primer/paint for wood stair treads

Posted by templemorris (My Page) on
Tue, Nov 27, 12 at 17:33

Hi,
I'm going to paint the unfinished wood treads of our staircase, but have gotten conflicting advice about what to use for maximum durability. The guy at Benjamin Moore said to use Fresh Start Oil Based Primer, followed by BM Alkyd Porch and Floor.

A professional painter told me NOT to prime, saying it wouldn't dry hard enough. He rec'd a thinned coat of BM Porch and Floor, followed by 2 regular coats. HELP!

Do I prime or not? Any other advice re: typed of paint, brands, etc.?

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Best primer/paint for wood stair treads

Listen to the painter

o

Christophern, Thanks for your reply. Can you explain why his advice is better? I'd really like to understand why I'm doing what I'm doing :)

Also, how much do I thin the paint? And with what?
Thanks!

o

I was told by a paint guy never to prime a foot traffic surface. It was something about primer not being designed for the type of twisty traction involved in shoes walking/scuffing around on flooring.
The newer floor paints are wonderously durable- I have an outdoor staircase and porch painted three years ago that still looks brand new, treads and all.

o

What he, she, said^
as to thinning, it will tell you on the can
I would go with the Ben Moore

o

Thank you both for taking the time to help me! Cearbhaill, what brand of paint did you use on your porch? I have to paint that too...
Thanks again!

o

I used Ben Moore Floor and Patio paint for my wood front porch floor in late summer. It hasn't been on long enough to evaluate it, but so far so good.

I would have preferred to use the alkyd version rather than this epoxy-reinforced latex, but it is not sold here. Interestingly, the can directions tell you to use primer, then the paint, and not to thin it. But the people in the Ben Moore store told me to simply thin the paint with water and use that as the primer, so that's what I did.

o

My porch paint is Sherwin Williams Porch and Floor Enamel.
Only because Benjamin Moore is too far away :) and the old timers at my very close SW store are extremely helpful.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Paint Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here