Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
templemorris_gw

Best primer/paint for wood stair treads

templemorris
11 years ago

Hi,
I'm going to paint the unfinished wood treads of our staircase, but have gotten conflicting advice about what to use for maximum durability. The guy at Benjamin Moore said to use Fresh Start Oil Based Primer, followed by BM Alkyd Porch and Floor.

A professional painter told me NOT to prime, saying it wouldn't dry hard enough. He rec'd a thinned coat of BM Porch and Floor, followed by 2 regular coats. HELP!

Do I prime or not? Any other advice re: typed of paint, brands, etc.?

Thanks!

Comments (8)

• templemorris
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Christophern, Thanks for your reply. Can you explain why his advice is better? I'd really like to understand why I'm doing what I'm doing :)

Also, how much do I thin the paint? And with what?
    Thanks!

• cearbhaill (zone 6b Eastern Kentucky)
    11 years ago

I was told by a paint guy never to prime a foot traffic surface. It was something about primer not being designed for the type of twisty traction involved in shoes walking/scuffing around on flooring.
    The newer floor paints are wonderously durable- I have an outdoor staircase and porch painted three years ago that still looks brand new, treads and all.

• PRO
    Christopher Nelson Wallcovering and Painting
    11 years ago

What he, she, said^
    as to thinning, it will tell you on the can
    I would go with the Ben Moore

• templemorris
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you both for taking the time to help me! Cearbhaill, what brand of paint did you use on your porch? I have to paint that too...
    Thanks again!

• graywings123
    11 years ago

I used Ben Moore Floor and Patio paint for my wood front porch floor in late summer. It hasn't been on long enough to evaluate it, but so far so good.

I would have preferred to use the alkyd version rather than this epoxy-reinforced latex, but it is not sold here. Interestingly, the can directions tell you to use primer, then the paint, and not to thin it. But the people in the Ben Moore store told me to simply thin the paint with water and use that as the primer, so that's what I did.

• cearbhaill (zone 6b Eastern Kentucky)
    11 years ago

My porch paint is Sherwin Williams Porch and Floor Enamel.
    Only because Benjamin Moore is too far away :) and the old timers at my very close SW store are extremely helpful.

• HU-269923423
    3 years ago

been paint contracting for 33 years....I will take the old -timers anyday over a fresh-faced kid salesman at benny moore or sherwin.....YOU NEED TO ALWAYS USE AN OIL BASE PRIMER OUTSIDE. ...except for masonry......the oil base freezes the wood and makes it durable.......Yes, i like the v.o.c. laws, but there is no substitute for an oil- based primer.....for a deck I would use oil stain as a primer, not alkyd on walking areas. Its too soft......that old painter was right...good luck with your deck, and listen to us pro's and old timey painters, we've been there.

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida