Return to the Paint Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Rustoleum Ultimate Wood Stain, Rustoleum Ultimate Polyurethane?

Posted by mudhouse (My Page) on
Sun, Nov 13, 11 at 17:25

We are upgrading all of the old painted hollow core interior doors in our home to unfinished pine panel doors. I'll be staining all of the interior doors with a light gray stain. I'm looking for recommendations for both stain and topcoat products. Benjamin Moore products are not an option (no BM store in my city.) Store options are Sherwin Williams, Lowes, Home Depot.

I bought Cabot oil based stain from Lowes, in the color "Moonshadow" and it's a tad more cool blue-gray than I wanted.

I also bought Rustoleum oil based Ultimate Wood Stain "Sunbleached", and we like the warmer gray color. The Rustoleum product says it can be topcoated with polyurethane, and I'm assuming it's best to use the Rustoleum Ultimate Polyurethane, to avoid mixing product lines.

However, I find few testimonials online about either these Rustoleum Ultimate products. Has anyone here used them? If there is a better-known combination of light gray stain/top coat products you'd recommend, I'm open to suggestions. I can work with either oil based or water based products, I just want a good end result that I can repeat throughout the house. Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Rustoleum Ultimate Wood Stain, Rustoleum Ultimate Polyurethan

When working with pine, the most important step prior to staining is wood conditioner, but the Ultimate Wood Stain formula eliminates that step. That's a good thing!

The product can be coated with poly in one hour instead of the usual 24 hours. That's a good thing!

RustOleum is a very trusted name in the paint and coatings world. Yes, I'm endorsing it as a quality product that delivers satisfaction.

o
RE: Rustoleum Ultimate Wood Stain, Rustoleum Ultimate Polyurethan

Thanks so much, brushworks. I've used Rustoleum products for years on metal, but wasn't familiar with their wood finishing products at all! I had wondered about the need for wood conditioner also, so thanks for answering that as well.

Happy to have the vote of confidence. Now, to start tackling doors...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Paint Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here