Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mudhouse_gw

Rustoleum Ultimate Wood Stain, Rustoleum Ultimate Polyurethane?

mudhouse_gw
12 years ago

We are upgrading all of the old painted hollow core interior doors in our home to unfinished pine panel doors. I'll be staining all of the interior doors with a light gray stain. I'm looking for recommendations for both stain and topcoat products. Benjamin Moore products are not an option (no BM store in my city.) Store options are Sherwin Williams, Lowes, Home Depot.

I bought Cabot oil based stain from Lowes, in the color "Moonshadow" and it's a tad more cool blue-gray than I wanted.

I also bought Rustoleum oil based Ultimate Wood Stain "Sunbleached", and we like the warmer gray color. The Rustoleum product says it can be topcoated with polyurethane, and I'm assuming it's best to use the Rustoleum Ultimate Polyurethane, to avoid mixing product lines.

However, I find few testimonials online about either these Rustoleum Ultimate products. Has anyone here used them? If there is a better-known combination of light gray stain/top coat products you'd recommend, I'm open to suggestions. I can work with either oil based or water based products, I just want a good end result that I can repeat throughout the house. Thanks!

Comments (2)