Return to the Paint Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to paint ceiling fans?

Posted by jeannie01 (My Page) on
Sun, Nov 27, 11 at 17:15

In my new home I put up 2 Craftmade ceiling fans in white. Hoping they would not be noticable, but now I'm thinking that I should have purchased ORB fans as my light fixtures are ORB.
What type of paint should be used? Can you spray it or should you use a brush? How do you keep paint from getting into the mechanism?
I don't plan on painting the blades, I will just replace them with an ORB color blade.

Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to paint ceiling fans?

The blades are the easiest to paint!

The the housing will need to be broken down in sections, unless you're willing to mask off any openings, wiring boards, etc.

Disassemble and spray paint.

o

Do you plan to paint the fans in place, or are you going to take them down? If you are painting them in place, I would use a brush.

o

Well, they are pretty high up - so I think I will need someone to take them down. Gez, maybe it would just be easier to buy new fans! I can't even imagine me taking the housing apart and getting it put back together properly!
Also, finding the "right" ORB color/finish may be another issue. I did paint one ceiling light an ORB and it came out not exactly like I wanted. I should never have ordered WHITE!!!

Second thought - maybe since they are pretty far up there, I wouldn't need to paint much of the top part - only what you can see !

o

If the blades are angled, you will see the white tops.

The housing is a simple cover with a few screws and nuts. The bulk of the insides will remain intact.

Don't be afraid.

o

Oh, thanks brushworks I thought they may be a nightmare to take apart and put back together again. I may try to paint them and whats the worst case - I don't like them and buy new fans...gez these aren't even a year old..oh well, live , spend and learn

o

Hi Jeannie01,
I'm sure you figured this out a while ago. But we have a great video and article here that gives you a step by step on how to paint a ceiling fan.

Here is a link that might be useful: How to Paint a Ceiling Fan

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Paint Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here