Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lonestarlady_gw

Is it the paint, or is it me?!!

lonestarlady
12 years ago

I remember painting entire rooms with a paint brush, and not being able to see a single stroke! Or touching up paint on the walls...couldn't tell! But, the last few years have been a challenge painting walls. I see streaks in the walls (using a roller). Where we cut in to trim around woodwork looks awful. What are we doing wrong? We used Sherwin Williams Satin paint in Balanced Beige. Are there rollers or brushes that work better than others? I'm at my wit's end!

Comments (12)

• PRO
    Christopher Nelson Wallcovering and Painting
    12 years ago

It is MOSTLY the paint.They have taken out all the good stuff to make it voc compliant. It takes extra coats, at least 2, to get a good looking job.

• Michael
    12 years ago

Paint rollers have been around since 1940. I can't imagine why you would be painting walls with a brush.

Modern paint technology exceeds that of the latex days. Waterborne enamels require a faster work habit, no over brushing, and most of all, the proper amount of paint to level before drying.

Too many people use too little paint and expect professional results.

• ocnick
    12 years ago

i agree with brush works. you've been painting whole walls with a single brush? wow. that's crazy. i would def. assume you could see streaks. i always have a roller

• Chicagopainter
    12 years ago

Latex paint fries quick - 30 -60 min. You have to work fast. Why to use brush? Roller makes work easier and faster. I use rollers 50/50 - polyester / wool. You will get nice smooth finish.

Here is a link that might be useful: Chicago painter

• sombreuil_mongrel
    12 years ago

A very good old customer, who lives in a true mansion (8000 sqft, circa 1910 construction, 5 BR 9 baths) had her venetian red dining room (that room is 20x30) brushed with continuous top to bottom strokes. One guy rolled on the paint, another guy quickly brushed it out. They got one shot. She wanted the historic look of the brush strokes, not roller texture. No matter how subtle, the roller leaves a texture. She always gets what she wants.
    Casey

• PRO
    12 years ago

"She always gets what she wants."

Money does that (:)

• Michael
    12 years ago

If she's paying by the hour, I'll paint it with a Q-tip!~

• lonestarlady
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Nooooo....my husband uses a roller!! My point was when *I* used a brush years ago, you couldn't see where one stroke began or the other ended.

We did put 2 coats of paint on, but you could still see the 'seams' of the roller. (My husband has done our painting for years and didn't have this problem before.) My husband is repainting the room with flat paint to see if we get better results. The glare from the windows shows every little flaw in the painting. It's a formal living room so I'm not worried about having to wipe walls.

Thanks for all of your replies. He's even trying a different roller this time around.

• karinl
    12 years ago

I'm actually glad to hear that it is the paint, because I have had the same problem. One was on my son's bedroom ceiling, where I was using a roller, and I lost count of how many coats it took me to get it "seam" free. And even at that, it isn't quite, but it's dark red in a dark room and we can live with it.

But just for the record, I do paint whole rooms with a brush. The reason is that we live in a small house and I'm busy. I can't clear whole rooms - there is nowhere to put the stuff - nor whole days of my time to do the painting. I clear what I can and do one corner, or one side, at a time, when I have time.

Because I paint such a small area at a time, if I worked with a roller I would be washing as much paint down the sink every session as I get on the wall. Because it is often days or longer - um actually the bedroom has been half-painted all summer, because we move to outdoor work in the summer on our perpetual renovation project - before I get back to it, there is no point in storing the loaded roller from one session to the next. So, brush it is. And there are patches where I have trouble getting the wall streak-free.

And in fact I use a brush that I choose specifically for ease of cleaning, since I clean so often. It's actually marketed as being enviro-friendly, which I also like, but I like best that I waste very little paint, which I hope is good for the fish. Fortunately it is also a pretty good brush! The professional model shown at the link below is also environment-friendly, but not as easy to clean.

Karin L

Here is a link that might be useful: I use the consumer model shown here

• lazy_gardens
    12 years ago

"Because I paint such a small area at a time, if I worked with a roller I would be washing as much paint down the sink every session as I get on the wall."

Wrap the roller in plastic wrap and put it in the vegetable crisper. If you will be longer than a couple of days, freeze it.

• PRO
    12 years ago

Wrap the roller in plastic wrap and put it in the vegetable crisper.

Makes the carrots taste better

• karinl
    12 years ago

Thanks, Lazy. Time and freezer space are also at a premium, and I always seem to be working on three rooms at once. When a roller matters or will work, I will remember your tip.

Karin L