Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
regulator_gw

Ugly - Ugly house

Regulator
10 years ago

We just bought this house and while we love the inside, the outside is horrible.

Other than the landscaping what can be done to the exterior to make it not such an eyesore? I was thinking some of those faux handles on the garage doors to start with and painting the shake looking trim a unique color separate from the horizontal trim?

Any color suggestions that match the orange brick? White trim or trim?

Comments (15)

• lemonlime
    10 years ago

My goodness. Graywings summed up my thoughts as well.

Your house is far from ugly. What bothers you about it? I can see being disappointed if you wanted a bunglaow and got this, but honestly there's nothing really wrong with it.

• PRO
    Christopher Nelson Wallcovering and Painting
    10 years ago

get rid of the fake shutters for one

• lazy_gardens
    10 years ago

It's a bit bland, but if that's your idea of ugly ... what planet are you from? :)

Specifically, what is bothering you.

I would - as always - recommend making the entry area obvious and welcoming.

I can't spot your front door! Where is it?

• graywings123
    10 years ago

The front door is in the center of the first picture the OP posted.

• EATREALFOOD
    10 years ago

That is far from ugly.
    Thank you graywings for vocalizing my thoughts also.

• Vertise
    10 years ago

Spot on, Graywings.

So are you looking for a different color? This is a hardiplank or wood that you are able to paint? A new door color? What are you considering doing that you are in the Paint forum?

• domino123
    10 years ago

Not an ugly house, but you have the right to be critical of your own.

Here's what I would do:

I wouldn't make the garage area a focal point - accent should be on the front door area, not the garage (my pet peeve is having the garage the focal point of the home).

Keep the right and left side of the house consistent and keep the brick the focal point. Paint the garage doors to blend in with the siding color, instead of matching the trim color. Unless they are ornately carved stained wooden doors (which they are not), I don't think they should be accented, so make them blend and bring the focus to your front door.

I agree about getting rid of the shutters. I do like shutters, but these look too small in scale. Have you thought of adding awnings on the three largest window units? (leave the small ones alone)

Paint the front door (the whole unit - storm door and the interior and transom windows) with a pop of color, and uplighting on this brick architectural feature of your home would look absolutely stunning.

In terms of landscaping overhaul, an ornamental tree in place of that overgrown evergreen to start would look wonderful next to your front door, and you'll have a whole new look.

• domino123
    10 years ago

Also, if you put two large urns on pedestals flanking each side of the staircase (on the ground, not on the porch), uplight them as well, it would really compliment your entry way.

Just make sure they are large enough for the scale of your home.

Here is a link that might be useful: Urn on pedestal example

• sandy808
    10 years ago

Your house is not ugly, but if you feel that way no one here should be invalidating your feelings. I am sure you ARE thankful to have a home. Not liking how the exterior looks has nothing to do with being ungrateful or not feeling blessed to have a home. It simply means that the way it looks is distressing you. You should feel happy every time you pull up in your driveway.

Think about what colors make you feel happy, and then find a tone that will accent the brick. Paint or new siding can do amazing things.Shutters in the right color and/or style may look nice, but if you don't like them at all, by all means remove them. Frankly I feel the windows on the back of your house could use some accenting. Maybe not each and every one, but they do look plain which may be part of what is making you feel your home is "ugly". It doesn't have to be shutters either. There should be a way to frame the windows so they look like trim has been put on them....much like we do inside. On a stucco home there are ways to make the windows look trimmed out and painted an accent color. Not sure about the type of siding you have, and whether you can achieve the same effect, but I would think someone could.

Landscaping with shrubs, flowers, and trees will transform how your home looks. Done correctly they will bring areas that look out of proportion in scale with the surroundings. Plant trees first and go from there. If you sit outdoors and study your home, your instincts will tell you what you need. Find a friendly nursery and have fun with the process. Just don't plant the trees too close, and choose varieties that will fit the space. There are big trees, and there are smaller trees.

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    10 years ago

An appropriately sized specimen tree--something really beautiful--might really help the front of the home Get a tree expert (not a guy from a big box store, fine a person who KNOWS trees--an arborist, not the guy selling the trees--he's going to sell you what he can make money on) from your area to help you make a selection. Make sure you get a tree with well-behaved roots, that at mature size will be just about the same height as the home, that can live in a lawn, that will not buckle pavement, doesn't produce a lot of litter...don't plant too close to the home...think long-term--the initial price of a tree is NOT the expensive part--maintenance (trimming) and water are--slow-growing trees are usually far more choice and strong than fast-growing, so be willing to be patient...it will pay off--and don't over plant--one specimen is plenty as your front yard is not large--the back maybe two or three, and not within 20' of your house--consider the direction the wind blows in stormy weather as well...

I might add a round vent, either purely decorative or functional, on the front of the home just under the apex of the garage section--only because it looks like a blank expanse. That and the trees--just a modest expenditure for now--and then think further as you live in the home. It's a nice house.

• downsouth
    10 years ago

I am really stunned at some of the replies to the OP because she came here for advice. Of course, she appreciates her home, the exterior is just ugly to her. I see nothing wrong with her choice of words.

Regulator, are you from the south? Your home looks like homes I see in Georgia. What bothers me about these homes is they look like the builder ran out of brick, lol! My son's home is like this. Perhaps that is what bothers you?

I agree with the poster who suggested the round decorative vent above the garage. That is a huge amount of blank space. I like the white doors and I do like the idea of adding the decorative handles, etc. I think a "carriage garage" look would be great for your home.

Actually, I am a shutter lover, so I would not take them down but I would repaint them a glossy black and I would paint the front door red.

I agree about removing the overgrown plants. Good luck in making this house a home you will love to come home too!

• PRO
    Christopher Nelson Wallcovering and Painting
    10 years ago

Shutters are fine, if and only if, they match the size of the windows. That is, they were designed to cover the windows not just highlight them

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

What I would do would be to:

* paint the garage doors to match the siding
    * add a window or vent or something to the gable end above the garage
    * increase the size of the light fixture over the garage door
    * eliminate the shutters
    * add trim around all the windows...I think it's the lack of trim that really makes the house look "builder basic"
    * make the front door more important by a lot. Add a portico or cantilevered roof of some sort over the front door to make it more important. (Guests always appreciate some sort of cover if they are at the front door for any length of time in bad weather.) Paint the front door a color so it stands out, add bigger lights, add railings that stand out, and even paint or change out the brick steps. Right now the brick blends in so the front door looks more like just another window rather than the feature on the home it should be.
    * trim the bushes away from the railing and add plantings around the walkway to make it more welcoming.

On the backside, more of the same...plantings, boost the window trim, beef up the exterior lighting and consider adding an awning (retractable?) to partially shade the deck to make it more year-round usable.

• mikem8560
    10 years ago

if you don't like the color maybe a Duxbury blue
    https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSX4g-gGV2o1fe7_DqnpyzkjfeNSwFxz_jtwjbNk7fLFxL8hhcg

thnk about awning over the window to spice it up