Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
herbertlew_gw

Not getting the desired results with Cabinet Coat

herbertlew
9 years ago

Can someone help. I'm painting my kitchen cabinets white with Cabinet Coast, and to me it's not coming out as "nice" as Sherwin Williams Proclassic Acrylic (non Alkyd).

I used SW proclassic on all my baseboards, bookshelves, and door trims, door jamb, and the finish came much more smooth, glassy, more of a "sprayed" finish--(I compared the finish to my sprayed bathroom vanities).

But for kitchen cabinets, I opted for Cabinet Coat. Sanded down all my kitchen cabinet doors with a palm sander and sponge sander, stripped off almost all of he varnish. Then I put on two coats of Coverstain oil based primer and sanded smoothe in between. Had other work to do, so a week goes by. .

I did not use a sprayer, but rolled on the cc with a 4" woven mini roller then hand brushed with a Wooster Chinex Poly/Nylon brush. The paint went on smooth with very minimal brush marks that I was ok with.

The next day, the probem to me was that the finish was not smoothe (although it was smooth after priming) at all. It was not bumpy, and there's no the brush marks...

I called the manufacturer and the he said to use a good brush and to try laying on a thicker coat. He also said that the since the finish is satin, it will not be as "glossy" as a semi gloss.

Do I have to wait longer for the paint to cure to see a more "polished" or glass like finish? Or is because of the the satin finish that it's more "matte?"

Comments (2)