Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
caminnc1

Two coats of primer ?

caminnc
12 years ago

I have noticed several people here have mentioned priming twice. Although I have done this in small areas at times, what are the guide lines for knowing when to use two coats of primer?

Comments (7)

• sierraeast
    12 years ago

One guideline is that if the first coat has sat for awhile,(weeks, months, years?), it's a good idea to lightly sand and re-primer dependent on primer type and the project concerned.

• caminnc
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks, I knew that one but some people prime twice for cabinets and stuff like that as well. Maybe just on wood.?.

• Michael
    12 years ago

Priming twice can be used to build or fill in barely detectable woodgrain.

Other than that........it's a waste of primer

• sombreuil_mongrel
    12 years ago

It can be helpful on new woodwork, esp. that to receive an oil enamel finish. One coat of primer doesn't do justice to end grain, small checks and other defects. If you follow the recommended prime/ then caulk order of operations, any areas that needed resurfacing with spackle will need an additional coat of primer of those things can shine through,
    And the there's MDF. It needs a sealer and a primer, I don't know of a single-step product that can do as well.
    Casey

• caminnc
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks guys!!!

• Cindy1961
    12 years ago

Priming twice can also be helpful if you have something in a really really bright or dark color. For example, the only way to cover the yellowish sandish color all our house was painted in on the inside, with other colors like blue, was to either use several coats or to prime the wall twice.

• PRO
    Christopher Nelson Wallcovering and Painting
    12 years ago

Priming twice can also be helpful if you have something in a really really bright or dark color. For example, the only way to cover the yellowish sandish color all our house was painted in on the inside, with other colors like blue, was to either use several coats or to prime the wall twice.

Not so if using a quality primer. One coat of primer is all you need,it will not complety hide what you are priming but that is not what it is made to do, the finish coats will do the hiding.