Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lolittakat

Help choosing paint colors to achieve a more modern look

lolittakat
11 years ago

Hi everyone,
I'm out searching for paint ideas for the first floor of our smallish town home. We are updating the kitchen and would like to repaint the living room as well. I'm attaching our floor plan. Overall we are trying to modernize the space from the previous owner. We are keeping the off white cabinetry, installing a light gray floor tile, gray quartz counter top, white subway tile for backslash. In the dining and living area we are laying a walnut hardwood flooring, and installing tall simple baseboards. Overall we are trying to achieve a clean modern look, without taking away a homey aspect of the place. Overall i'm a sucker for gray color, and feel that we can buy furniture to brighten things up a bit, but i also don't want the place to appear dark with minimum natural light we receive.
My original idea is to paint the longest wall "wall A" a dark gray color, and the kitchen a light graige. I'm not sure what to do with the rest of the living room... Our staircase and upstairs corridor is already painted an off white color.

any advise would be greatly appreciated!

Comments (9)

• lolittakat
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Sorry, i don't know how to post multiple images in one post, but here is out existing kitchen, We are also getting rid of the light fixture and adding recessed lights

• lolittakat
    Original Author
    11 years ago

living room painted a pale pink color with previous owner's furniture

• lolittakat
    Original Author
    11 years ago

living from the other side and dining area

• lolittakat
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I wanted to use BM HC-168 Chelsea Gray for Wall A. BM 1542 himalayan trek for the kitchen and entire wall F, and i have no idea what to use for the rest of the living room

• graywings123
    11 years ago

Wall A and Wall F are different areas of the same wall, aren't they? I would make them the same color. And I would not do an accent color wall at all. Accent walls in inappropriate places tend to chop up the room. I would paint the living and dining rooms the same color - maybe the gray after you have tested it in the room. Then put something brighter in the kitchen.

• graywings123
    11 years ago

Oops, just looked more closely and saw that wall F is the back wall. I would still make them the same color.

• lolittakat
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you for your input!
    I kind of don't want the whole downstairs to be the same color. Reminds me of our old rental, would be nice to break the kitchen and living area colors a bit, i just don't know the best way of going about it.

• graywings123
    11 years ago

Your kitchen has three walls - the sink wall (not including the short portion to the left of the slider), the stove wall, and the service pantry wall. IMO, you could go pretty bright with those walls, and then have the gray elsewhere.

For more opinions, try posting this on the Home Decorating forum.

• Vertise
    11 years ago

You are going to lose a lot of light with a dark walnut floor. White walls are very modern against more contemporary furnishings, especially bright crisp ones with pops of color. Maybe do gray in your furnishings. You could always do one small room in a darker wall color.

Sponsored
Mary Shipley Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars32 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 10x Best of Houzz