Return to the Paint Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Painting wall paper

Posted by jbander (My Page) on
Thu, Nov 21, 13 at 15:17

I must admit that I haven't tried to pull the wallpaper off yet but can I just paint over the wall paper , like with Kilz first then my color

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Painting wall paper

Sure you can, but really this should only be done as a last resort if you can't get the wallpaper off.

o

Painting over wallpaper is a better idea. First, clean the entire surface thoroughly with TSP then rinse off the entire surface with water to remove your cleaner. Now check the condition of wall, cover any damaged area. Use fine sand paper to ensure a smooth surface after that apply sealer, primer and paint.

o

Painting over wallpaper is a better idea. First, clean the entire surface thoroughly with TSP then rinse off the entire surface with water to remove your cleaner. Now check the condition of wall, cover any damaged area. Use fine sand paper to ensure a smooth surface after that apply sealer, primer and paint.

Painting over wall paper is a very, very BAD idea, unless it is ABSOLUTLY necessary. If you take this advise above with the TSP, the paper will most likely come off anyway because you will need to rinse it 4 or 5 times in order for ant primer and or paint to stick to it. Painting over wall paper is got to be # 1 of the worse things a person can do

o

Yea, I don't know why James is even trying. Perhaps he is a troll. His advice is the opposite of what you should do. Sand wallpaper? Really?

o

Just joined 11/19/13.

It's always a good idea to look for familiar names/friends on a forum.

o

Be your own best friend and don't paint over wall paper.

o

A year or so after buying our house, I painted one of the bedrooms to change the paint color. Months later, seams began to show from under the paint.

I believe the previous owners must have painted over wallpaper but I don't know how many coats of paint or when it was done.

What can be done now to rectify?

o

A year or so after buying our house, I painted one of the bedrooms to change the paint color. Months later, seams began to show from under the paint.

I believe the previous owners must have painted over wallpaper but I don't know how many coats of paint or when it was done.

What can be done now to rectify?

o

You need to score through the wall paper and remove it.

People who paint masonary or paint over wall paper should be shot!

o

As mentioned you need to bet back to the original wall CAREFULLY, with a paper tiger or some such tool

http://www.safeandsimple.com/

Here is a link that might be useful: stripping

o

Just say "no" to wall paper. I wish more people would.

o

quote"Just say "no" to wall paper. I wish more people would."

Well thanks a lot, that does my career as a wall paper installer a whole lot of good

o

Yea, wallpaper only has a bad reputation because of bad information doled out throughout the years...and, of course lazy people who just hung it on top of flat paint or raw drywall. If you hang wallpaper on top of a good primer designed to be used under wall coverings, then the stuff comes right off when it's time.

o

Thank you paintguy :-)

o

Good grief: "just say no to wallpaper." Like everything in life, it depends. Beautiful wallpaper is an art form and if you find something wonderful and want to live with it, it can be exceptional. Unless you are paying an artist--a real artist--to paint a mural on your wall, or to stencil, wallpaper is lovely.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Paint Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here