Return to the Paint Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
BM gray that doesn't read blue? Help!!

Posted by artemis78 (My Page) on
Fri, Nov 19, 10 at 15:17

We had picked out Coventry Gray for our kitchen cabinets, but when we got the sample door---it has hugely blue undertones in our space, which I hadn't anticipated! We picked it because it looked like a true gray on the 8" swatch.

Now I'm scrambling to find some viable alternatives. We are looking for something without blue/purple undertones for lower cabinets. Either a true gray or something with taupe/green undertones would work. We like the grayness of Coventry (i.e., it's not too dark or light---just the wrong tone!) Could go a bit darker for the right color, but not any lighter as we need to maintain a contrast with the Acadia White trim.

Other colors in play in the space:
- Acadia White for trim and a separate wall of cabinets
- Stem Green, probably with 20% white so a little lighter, on the walls
- Flooring is Marmoleum in three gray shades, some of which also read a little blue---so we don't want to accentuate this by drawing more blue into the equation.
- Red accent color.
- Charcoal-ish (slight green undertone) soapstone counters.
- Natural fir wood (a bit orange-y) on tables/furniture

Any suggestions?? Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: BM gray that doesn't read blue? Help!!

I could get my doctorate in gray paint, I think. I have sampled 30 colors. Really. Just had the foyer painted finally in Baltic Gray. No blue undertones to me. No green undertones either.

Check this color out. If you notice on the color strip, it goes towards the browns. It is a warm color, I was so afraid that even with all of my research, including my thesis paper on gray (kidding) I was still going to feel that this gray was cold. I mean it's a 2 story foyer. But it was such a warm gray when I came home to see it.

So check it out.

Good luck! And remember you must sample the gray in your space, just don't go by those paint chips. (Lowe's can make any sample for about 2.50 for you)

o

I found BM Metropolitan was great in my living room but was too blue in other rooms. It'll very much be a trial and error because your room will dictate how much it reads blue. Get lots of samples!

o

Thanks---we ended up choosing BM Sea Haze, which is a gray with some green undertones. We'll see how it turns out! We'll probably hold off on committing to a wall color till we see the cabinets in person.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Paint Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here